On the technology bus!

As I’ve said in my previous posts I was not on the technology bus. I felt that social media was taking over people’s lives (including my own) for a few reasons. There’s been so many hours of my life lost on social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram. When I’m out for a meal with friends every single person uses their mobile at one point and has it sitting on the table!! When I walk down the street almost everyone is engrossed in their mobile phone! For me I think that people’s over use of social media is an unhealthy addiction.

After the social media input I feel so excited to use different platforms to enhance student engagement. I’ll be honest and say I didn’t know there were so many resources available for teachers to use in the classroom. In our first week, we were assigned the QR code hunt task which was so fantastic. Our group to work collaboratively, people were taking on leading ship roles, we were problem solving to work out ‘who dunnit’. I didn’t know such a thing existing but I have thoughts of how I can use this when I have my own class.

As mentioned Facebook and Instagram are the only social media sights that I use regularly. I have been reluctant to using Twitter mainly because I didn’t want to become addicted to another social media website. Even my mum has been telling me for a long time to get involved with Twitter. She uses this to keep informed of current events in the local community and with my siblings school announcements. With Derek’s recommendation I have now signed up to to Twitter but don’t think I’ll be tweeting just yet.

Having thought more and more about social media I can see the potential and central role in children’s education and certainly in my university education. Glow for example I believe will invaluable for sharing ideas and developing my writing skills. I do still think we need to find the right balance in using social media as an education tool to enhancing learning and using it safely.