Learning Log – Environment

The last two weeks of learning within the module Sustainable Development have really changed my attitude towards the topic of environment.

My prior understanding of the term ‘environment’ was very limited, with only really knowing that it is associated with our surroundings and having often only heard it being used in a negative context. However, after participating in various activities and taking on further reading into the matter, I have learned that it is essential for me (as a future educator) to be well informed on this subject for it is highly relevant in today’s global issues. Also for the fact the government has recognised the crucial role of education and learning in bringing about attitudinal and societal change in relation to these areas.

The various activities during the previous two weeks learning about both natural environments and urban environments have helped me developed a range of skills; both as a student and as a teacher.

The most effective activity relating to natural environments was a group sensory walk around campus, where we engaged in seeing, smelling, feeling and hearing our surroundings. As a student this developed my team working skills as we openly shared what each person could sense. We related the task to primary teaching and how it could be used a beneficial learning activity to educate children on natural environments, as well taking into account how what aspects of the task could be changed to adapt to a child’s needs. For example making sure on the walk the children stay within the school’s boundaries. The most interesting part was seeing how an activity which can applied for one area of learning can also become cross-curricular. An example of this would be the children using their experiences on the sensory walk to create a piece of writing, thereby developing their literacy skills in a fun and practical way. After participating in this activity, my skills as a teacher have developed diversely. Sharing ideas, communicating effectively and organised lesson planning are all key components of being a good teacher and I had the opportunity to experience each one during the task.

The second task we were assigned was to interact and find information on our local urban environment. As a student this built on my research skills as I had to investigate specific areas of a subject and conduct this into a piece of writing, something I have and will find myself doing very frequently at university. On a personal note, it expanded my knowledge of the town I have spent my whole life in and taught me useful facts that I never knew before. As a teacher, my skills were developed by thinking and planning different ways I can incorporate my findings with teaching children about their urban environment in an interesting and practical way.

Looking at helpful resources and links to teaching activities has showed me that learning about the theme of environment is very important and useful to a child’s education.

Links 

http://moodle.uws.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/320579/mod_resource/content/1/Beyond%20Your%20Boundary.pdf

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/naturedetectives/