The Urban Environment: Learning Log

Theme: The Environment

Key Learning: During this session, I learned about the natural and urban environment. Our natural environment is all living and non-living things around us that has occurred naturally. This may include land, living species and other signs of natural life. Our urban environment is generally the area surrounding a city, and includes any man-made structures such as buildings, railways and roads.urban-vs-natural

It was highlighted to us during our lecture that urban areas account for more than 70% of carbon emissions (UNEP 2012). This is having a great impact on resources, as they are running out. This in turn is causing a rise in gas prices. Reflecting on these statistics, it highlighted to me the power of the human race. It is us that are causing such a massively negative impact on our environment, and us who will be affected as a result of this. This to me shows why it is important for children to be educated about the environment. If they can be influenced by being knowledgeable about our environment, then our future generation may work more to protect it. On the other side of things, the urban environment allows humans to develop socially, economically, as well as improving the physical environment.

During our workshop that focused on the natural environment, we were provided with a task to go outside and search for various species of insects and birds, and different types of leaves and lichen. I found this task interesting and valuable, as it highlighted to me how much natural life was in the area that surrounded me. I also learned that lichen comes in different types, and this is affected by the levels of air pollution in the area. When lichen is yellow, it means that there is high levels of pollution due to car emissions.

lichen

Reflecting on all of this information, it made me think about animals in their natural habitats. With a human population constantly growing, more space is taken away from our natural environment. This is having an impact on many species, that are becoming endangered through deforestation as an example, and so their natural habitat is ruined. For some species, this may even mean extinction. Some animals and insects are very valuable parts of our ecosystem, so it is important for them to be protected.

During our workshop focusing on plants and living things, I learned about hydroponics. This is a process by which a plant is grown without the use of soil, but instead with nutrients. I discovered the great advantages of this, as it makes it possible to grow plants anywhere and all year round, 20% less space is used up while growing, and harvesting is easier. I found this interesting to learn about, and it has also provided me with ideas for lesson plans when educating children about the environment.

img_3782

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice: Learning about the environment has reminded me of how I am affecting it. I have always been quite aware of looking after the environment and try to do my part, however now I am much more interested in learning about others ways that I can reduce my pollution levels. I think that with future lectures it will have a further impact on my views as I learn more about sustainable development.

Areas of interest to further explore/develop: One topic that I have picked up on that I would like to further explore is hydroponics. This is a term that I had not come across before, and I think it would be a very valuable lesson to teach to children in class. In order to achieve this I plan on doing further reading so that I can be better educated on hydroponics.