Week Six | Kelvingrove Museum

Image result for kelvingrove museum

“Museums inspire powerful and identity-building learning in children, young people and community members” (DCMS, 2003-2004).

Unfortunately I was not able to attend the workshops in Kelvingrove during the module. However I did pay a visit to Kelvingrove during my own time recently as I did not want to miss out.

I have always loved going to museums and art galleries since I was a child. They provide the perfect opportunity to really connect with natural history, different cultures, ancient people and places, art, fashion, and a variety of exciting other things in a way that you simply cannot achieve in a classroom or through a book. Museums capture your interest, and also your imagination.

Related image

Image result for kelvingrove museum history

Museums have the power to inspire learners regardless of age, gender and ability, across all curricular areas and inter-disciplinary themes. They are sites that allow learners to achieve more than they think that they are capable of, and are able to simulate those who find learning a challenge and can target and can effectively increase motivation in disadvantaged pupils and groups of children (DCMS, 2003-2004).

There are arguably potential barriers that prevent schools from visiting museums and art galleries. Transport difficulties, problems with administration and risk assessment, perceived constraints of the curriculum, getting staff cover while teachers in secondary schools are on the trip, lack of knowledge and unrealistic expectations about what museums can provide, and limited communication with museums can cause difficulties (DCMS, 2003-2004). However, it is important that teachers are able to overcome these barriers and important to overcome these obstacles as there is so much to be gained from a museum visit. I intend to be the kind of teacher who is willing to go that bit further to ensure my learners recieve the opportunity to experience places such as Kelvingrove.

The highlight of my trip there was finally seeing the painting “Windows In The West” by Avril Paton having studied it the Integrated Arts module last year.

The thing that I really love about this painting is despite being such a large piece, it feels like such an intimate look into the lives of the people who live there. It almost feels like a photograph and is a really evocative piece. The below video is of the artist Avril Paton discussing Windows in the West.

DCMS (2003-2004) Inspiration, Identity, Learning: The Value of Museums. [Online] Available: [Accessed  9 April 2017]

Glasgow Museums (2011) Avril Paton on ‘windows in the west’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and museum, Glasgow. YouTube. [Online]. Available: https://youtu.be/BVDRL6wsQYU [Accessed 8 Jan 2017].