Learning Log – Energy

B.A. 2

Learning Log

Theme: Energy
Key Learning:

In this theme I considered this generations dependency on fuel, we use coal, oil and gas. For transport we require the use of petrol and diesel as alternatives such as bio-diesel are not regularly available. We cook and heat our homes with fuel and use them to create plastic. These fuels are not a sustainable and are expected to run out in years to come. Alternatives may be used but these are not always practical and may have large running costs. These alternatives include nuclear, wind, solar and waves.

The use of such fossil fuels has lead to global warming and we have already seen an increase in temperatures this in turn causes air pollution which has an effect on weather pattern.

A skill which I developed within this input was debating. After reading through articles I was able to select pro’s and con’s which would allow me to pitch an informed opinion on which ever side I was to stand for. This is a skill which I can transfer into the classroom and support children in developing. The nature of the debate was wind turbines, this allowed me to develop a knowledge of the planning process and the implementation of this renewable energy.

Within the directed study task I was able to see that technology is a crucial part of the curriculum. By carrying out the activities I was able to see the difficulties and benefits of carrying this out in the classroom.

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

I am now able to see the impact that the fuel shortages will have on humans. As with climate change the energy input has allowed me to consider my impact on the environment and that by driving to university each day I am putting pressure on the environment by using up finite resources which are already limited as well as causing air pollution. All of this has lead me to taking public transport to placement, this is as it is easily accessible and it prevents me from adding to the traffic.

I feel that this is an important issue which could be raised within the classroom. Children will have an interest as the can link to how they use the resources within there home and what they are used for. Children may also be interested in considering how they as individuals could reduce their output.

Carrying out practical activities has allowed me to see that before carrying these out within a classroom setting, they must be tried and tested with the materials that you are using to ensure that they will work properly. You have to ensure that it is accessible for all the children who are in your classroom.

Areas of interest to explore further/develop:

I feel that I could further develop my knowledge of technologies within the classroom by reading the relevant parts of the Technologies Impact Report, this would allow me to see the importance of carrying out such activities in the education setting and how they can be successfully implemented.

I feel that electricity is an area that I will have to further develop and become more confident in before I could deliver it as a lesson. This would involve me recapping the existing knowledge which I have gained through my education as well as looking at more up to date resources.