Why I want to be a teacher

When I was young, my teacher asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I told her I would be a builder. She smiled and asked “why?”. Now all these years later I am faced with the same question. I want to work in education because I was inspired by my teachers growing up. I want to make a difference in children’s lives and be someone they can look up to.

I also want to work with children to be able to start closing the attainment gap in primary schools and take steps towards ending the cycle of poverty. I believe, as a teacher, I will be in a position to do this.

Through my time volunteering in primary schools and various children’s clubs over the years, I have realised the importance of working with children in my life. I have helped at events by leading various activities. Being able to see the excitement and enjoyment on their faces is very rewarding.

Finally, I hope I can be a role model to children who do not have one and help children learn and play in a supportive way. I want to be a teacher to encourage my pupils as my teacher inspired me.