Data Analysis Questionnaire TDT- Maths Assignment

As part of our Tutor Directed Task, we were asked to explore data and analysis through a questionnaire.  We had to consider;

1. What questions are you going to ask?

This could vary, we focused on what is your favourite flavour of crisps?

1. How are you going to record people answers?

This opened up a larger discussion as differentiation is a huge factor.

In early years, you could begin by using tally marks.  This strategy opened up a number of considerations including understanding the actual concept of tallying, ensuring they are evenly spaced and using square paper to enable this.  This would progress into recording the information and data into a graph- preferably bar.  Again, this opened up a variety of factors to consider as pupils must understand the need for a title, to ensure the scale is appropriate and have the same increments, and have a horizontal and vertical axis.  The graph could have pre-made flavours ready for the pupils to fill in the data to prevent confusion or getting it wrong.  The early years could also work in a group collaboratively and share ideas.

This contrasts to the upper years who could use tally marks initially too.  They could then progress by recording their data in a line graph.  They could work through this activity individually to ensure they are capable of doing the work by themselves.  This would then create a discussion where groups could compare graphs.  Individuals could then continue to work with percentages and answer questions, for example- What percentage of pupils preferred flavour 1?  This would link in another concept of Mathematics as well as data.

As a group we discussed the progression from tables and graphs from the easiest to the most challenging.  This would be a good indication and guide to use for working with all levels of primary. Here is the list and order we came up will collaboratively:

12696596_10208411356150804_1577254258_o

The experiences and outcomes;

MNU 0-20b-I can match objects,and sort using my own and others’ criteria,sharing my ideas with others.

MNU 1-20b- I have used a range of ways to collect information and can sort it in a logical, organised and imaginative way using my own and others’ criteria.

MNU 2-20b- I have carried out investigations and surveys, devising and using a variety of methods to gather information and have worked with others to collate, organise and communicate the results in an appropriate way. link to data and analysis and show the progression through the stages.

MNU 2-20b demonstrates a level of investigating which further shows a link between Mathematics and Science as in Science a massive factor is the problem solving skill.  Furthermore using skills in investigating which connects the two subjects together.

This concept of data and analysis can be used throughout all levels of primary as long as the correct level and differentiation is used and organised to the benefit of the individuals.

2 thoughts on “Data Analysis Questionnaire TDT- Maths Assignment

1. Hello!

I am a BA3 student teacher at UWS and we were asked to have a look at your blogs and choose one to comment on that stuck out to us.

I looked at yours because I am hopefully going to specialise in maths so I thought this would interest me. You have actually really helped me out ! I am going into a composite primary 2/3 class in a week and a bit and I have been given full reign of their charities topic while I’m there. This blog has given me the idea to have the children gather information using tally marks and it will allow me to differentiate between the primary 2’s and 3’s through the way we display the data and allowing them all to take part in practically the same learning. I never thought of including data collection in the topic as well until I read this so thanks very much for the post!

#uwsba13one

Reply
  2. It’s great to see that the TDT tasks are helping you to focus on progression but also to think about other aspects of learning and teaching. It appears that you’re really getting to grips with understanding that similar activities can be used for different age groups and abilities and that your expectations of what the children do with their investigations and the results makes the learning meaningful and appropriate for them.

Reply