During session 2019-20, the focus of the Building a Reading Culture work stream was to:
- Support a selection of schools (primary and secondary) from across FVWL RIC to pilot the Scottish Booktrust Reading Schools accreditation.
- Continue to grow a teacher-driven professional network for reading which aims to support members to: implement targeted interventions for specific learners; develop knowledge and understanding of research and pedagogy related to developing positive reading attitudes and motivation; share knowledge of contemporary children’s literature and build professional relationships across the region.
Scottish Book Trust Reading Schools is an accreditation programme for schools that are committed to building a culture of reading for their learners and communities. It offers:
- an accreditation for your school;
- a framework for improvement mapped to How Good Is Our School? 4;
- professional development opportunities for staff;
- opportunities for collaboration within and between schools;
- pathways to engaging families and the wider community;
- resources, training and support from Scottish Book Trust.
This programme was piloted in 2019-20 in 38 FVWL schools. Click here to read the evaluation report: https://www.readingschools.scot/uploads/store/mediaupload/25/file/Reading%20Schools%20Pilot%202019.20%20Final%20Evaluation%20Report%20(1).pdf
In session 2020-21, the programme is being rolled out to more FVWL schools. So far, 60 schools have signed up! We will continue to update progress through literacy blog posts or via twitter @fvwlriclit #buildingareadingculture