Monthly Archives: January 2019

Digital Tech Day 1

Welcome! to my first reflective blog post all about my time in the Digital Technologies BA1 selective Module.

While choosing my selective modules for BA1 I discovered that Digital technologies was an available option. This module appealed to me as I have a loose understanding of modern digital technologies and I wanted to expand my knowledge of technology in order to use them more effectively in the classroom during my future career. The digital Technologies module will look at multiple forms of modern technology including programmable toys, mobile devices and game-based learning.

During the first class we were informed that this module has a total of 200 hours of learning involved, however only 48 of those hours are held in the university  meaning the remaining 152 hours are independent. This sounds like a lot but I’m sure I will be able to make it work as 152 hours of work spread over the 12 week course equates to just over 12 hours of external work per week. We were told very clearly “Make sure you keep up!” As well as keeping up we were told that it’s a good idea to look ahead to the next week in order to have an idea of what to expect, and so we can be prepared.

On the subject of being prepared, I need to keep on top of the pre-session and post-session reading. I did not do this for the first session so when we started to discuss “The Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland document” I had nothing to input, apart from absorbing the jist of the content from my peers. This highlighted to me that I need to organise myself better in order to understand what is going on and being discussed in class.

Looking forward to next weeks session, we will be working with programmable toys, specifically a Bee-bot robot. We have to create a “Map” for the bot to run on that acts as an educational tool in the classroom, and link it to the CfE Experiences and Outcomes for another curricular area. I have a limited understanding of Bee-Bot, while doing work experience at a local primary school last year I would take the primary 2 class to ICT where they would use the “Bee-Bot Emulator” online. From what I gather the emulator version works the same way as the physical robot, except this one is digital, The “Bee-Bot” follows programmed directions to reach a specific destination on a “Map”.

In this digital age children are being born into a digital world and being brought up surrounded by digital technology, in the words of Prensky, most children today are “Digital natives”. I wouldn’t consider myself as a complete digital native but I’m not a “Digital Immigrant” either. I was brought up surrounded with some digital technology but nowhere near as much or as advanced technology as there is in the world today. However, I am aware that my skills are not as developed as some so by taking this module I can deepen my understanding of digital technology meaning I can use it more effectively and efficiently in the classroom.

I am really looking forward to working in the Digital technologies module and advancing my technology skills, as well as advancing my understanding of what Digital technologies is. According to Education Scotland (2015), “Digital technology is a term used to describe those digital applications, services and resources which are used to:

›find

›analyse

›create

›communicate and

›use information in a digital context.”

To me before discovering this definition my understanding of digital technologies was: electrical devices used to aid in communication on a personal and global scale. Although this isn’t necessarily wrong, it does highlight my limited understanding of the subject. However through the Module I will be able to change this.

Signing off for the first time.

References:

Prensky, M. (2001) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants Part 1. On the Horizon. [Online] Vol. 9(5), Available: https://doi.org/10.1108/10748120110424816 [Accessed: 8th January 2019]

Scottish Government (2016) Enhancing Teaching and Learning through the use of Digital Technology: A Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland. [Online] Available: https://www.gov.scot/publications/enhancing-learning-teaching-through-use-digital-technology/ [Accessed 8th January 2019]