Social Sciences TDT: Flying back in time

I can investigate a Scottish historical theme to discover how past events or the actions of individuals or groups have shaped Scottish society. SOC 2-03a

1. Think about the selected outcome – This outcome makes me think of several different topics to base this on when teaching in the classroom. These include: WW1/WW2, Women gaining the right to vote, Titanic, and the Great fire of London to name but a few. I feel these alongside many others contributed greatly in shaping our society and the way we live today, and the children within a classroom setting can learn from this with age and stage appropriate materials.
  2. Brainstorm key questions– line of inquiry for the outcome -Initially I thought of asking the children what they might already know about the topic in hand, and what they may want to explore and learn about further, this includes what questions they may have. A few I thought of myself included: – Why did this event happen? Who were the major influencers? How? Has this event left an impact on society and the way we live now? If so, explain… how? How does this event make you feel? Would you liked to have lived when said event happened? What caused this event to happen? Who can you think of from this event? Can you think of any differences from the way we live in society today?
  3. Think of some activities– (Drama)- rein act a key scene of what happened in the event.. what characters or props might you make or need? What might they have said? (Literacy) Pupils could crate a poem, short story, newspaper article, diary entry based on the event, or if they were alive at the time of the event. (ICT) research topics based on the event nd present back to class, working with a partner or in a small group. (HWB) What food did they eat back then? Is it different to the food we eat in this day in age? What did they do for fun? What was it like to be a child in the event era? What was school like, how has it changed?. (Maths) has money changed since the event era? If so, how? What does it look like? What is its value now? What could you buy with it then compared to now? (Music) What was the music like then? Have the class listen to some music from the era and have them try to identify how it makes them feel? What instruments they might hear? What the song might mean? Is there a dance to go with it?