Fiona McNulty UWS ITE ePDP

Digital Technologies, Animation, 20 Feb 2018

This week in our session we explored Animation. The use of animation can “breathe new life into something that wouldn’t normally move” (Moving Image Education).  According to Moving Image Education there are 5 main types of animation

• Cutout – quickest and easiest
  • Stop-motion – example would be using plasticine models
  • Pixillation – humans become puppets
  • Drawn – a classical Disney animation is an example
  • Computer – also known as CGI and is found in games and movies

At the start of our session today, we had the chance to explore the Puppet Pals app. I found this app quite easy to use and I feel that each week in this module I am becoming more confident when faced with new challenges.  Working in pairs we then had the task of creating our own animation. The animation that we chose to focus on was stop-motion. We had the opportunity to watch some online tutorials showing features of stop-motion. When we were comfortable with how to use the features, working with my partner we created our own animation using the istop Motion App on an Ipad.

Our animation was based on a simple hand drawn background showing a city scene, a lego character and a toy truck. By using the I-stop motion app, we were able to bring this scene to life with the lego character being able to move.  Jarvis states that “Animation involves the stringing together a sequence of static images, generally so that they appear to move”.  Using this as a lesson would cover different parts of the curriculum:

• I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effect and suitability for specific tasks. EXA 1-02a
  • I can create, capture and manipulate sounds, text and images to communicate experiences, ideas and information in creative and engaging ways. TCH 1-04b/2-04b
  • I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to create texts of my choice. LIT 1-01a/2-01b

By using animation, it gives the pupil some freedom in creating a text. This can break down barriers to learning for some children. As stated by Beauchamp “e-Inclusion aims to use digital technologies to minimise the problems that pupils with learning difficulties experience.

This weeks session has reinforced to me the way that digital technologies can be used in a lesson to cover many parts of the curriculum.  When used in literacy it can bring a child’s story to life allowing them to “achieve something that would be very difficult or even impossible to achieve in any other way” (Beauchamp , 2012, p54). Having seen the benefits for myself, animation as part of a lesson is something I would certainly use in my own future career.

REFERENCE LIST

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A Very practical Guide for Teachers and Lecturers. Routledge.

Moving Image Education website: [Online] https://movingimageeducation.org/create-films/animation [Accessed: 26.2.18]