Fiona McNulty UWS ITE ePDP

Digital Technologies – Coding, 30 Jan 2018

Todays input gave us knowledge and experience of using coding software and how this can be used to enhance lessons in the classroom, particularly a literacy lesson.  The coding software we explored was Scratch Jnr, a programme that has been designed for exploration and experimentation meaning that it can support many different learning styles.  Scratch Jnr can be used to enhance teaching and learning across the curriculum including Maths, English, Music, Art and Design and Information Technology. The benefits to children using a coding programme are not only are they learning to write computer programs, they are also learning to think creatively, reason systematically and work collaboratively. These are all skills essential for success and happiness in todays world (The Lead Project, 2014).

Our task today was to create an interactive story on Scratch Jnr to promote literacy skills and linking to the experiences and outcomes of Curriculum for Excellence. As I have had no prior experience of using Scratch Jnr, I found the online tutorials and programming cards very useful. These provided step by step instructions to some of the features that the program provides.  Different from past weeks, today we were working on our own. I feel that working on my own today encouraged me to push myself out of my comfort zone. The lesson I compiled covered 2 of the experiences and outcomes of CfE:

• I enjoy creating texts of my choice and I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to suit the needs of my audience LIT 1-20a/LIT 2-20a
  • I understand the instructions of a visual programming language and can predict the outcome of a programme using the language TCH 1-14a

The lesson is based on children creating their own story using Scratch Junior. They would include words, pictures and moving images. This lesson could be adapted to suit the needs of the children. They could create their own story from the beginning or could add their own ending and images to a partially completed story.  Scratch Jnr enables children to code using icons rather than words, as stated by Beauchamp (2012, P,80) as many pieces of software rely on icons rather than text, pupils can often work ahead of their conventional reading age. This means that Scratch Jnr is appropriate for children as young as 5 to use.

After experiencing Scratch Jnr for myself, I can see how a literacy lesson can be enhanced using this programme. As said, due to icons being used rather than text it can mean the lesson would be inclusive for all including children who had weaker reading skills than others.  As with all aspects we have learned about in Digital Technologies I look forward to using this program in my own practice and will make sure that I am confident in using all features to ensure I can effectively teach others.

REFERENCE LIST 

The Lead Project (2014) Super Scratch Programming Adventure: Learn to Program by Making Cool Games! No Starch Press.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.