Task 4A – What I did

I managed to stick to my plan relatively well. I still managed to work with 6 children at P1, P4 and P7 and explored 3 different types of ‘loose parts play’. We tried free play where the children were given no information and just told they were allowed to do whatever they wanted with the equipment. This was always the first experience with this type of play for pupils. We then tried guided play in which I made suggestions and gave support to move the pupils’ ideas along. This was always the second experience with ‘loose parts’. The third experience was a set task with a set amount of time. The pupils were asked to build a shelter for a hedgehog in a storm. I had an observation grid to note down each pupil and the elements of problem solving and creativity skills they used. This was the weakest part of my enquiry as it is so difficult to capture a skill and measure it. This is something that has left me with a lot of questions to follow up in the future. I conducted a semi-structured interview with each group of children afterwards to find out how they felt about that type of play. As the children experienced more of the play they could then start comparing it during the interview.

One thought on “Task 4A – What I did”

1. I wonder if the assessment and the skills part of your work could be more informed by the Curriculum? Just thinking about your hedgehog shelter challenge, and it seemed as if two important curriculum areas there were Listening and Talking (children valuing contributions, building on thinking etc) and Technologies (craft & design, children problem solving to construct models, etc). Apologies if this is something that you have already considered or incorporated, but I’m thinking that perhaps it would work more easily to assess against curriculum outcomes rather than creativity skills?