Kelvingrove Art Gallery – Week 6

Today we visited Kelvingrove Art Gallery. I had been to Kelvingrove when I was younger but have not been there since. We were asked to explore a theme and take 10 pictures to explore our choice as we walked around Kelvingrove.

I chose to explore the cycle of life as a theme. As I walked around the Museum I was thinking of humane life, death, wildlife, Aquatic Life, livestock and Nature. I chose to explore life because it surrounds us in the world that we live in differentiating animals, plants and humans (Collins 2019). Life itself includes the capacity for growth, reproduction, functionality, and continual change preceding death (Collins 2019).

At first, I will explore plants being a part of life in nature. As I grew up I was ignorant to the fact that plants are living things but as states above life includes a capacity to grow in which plants and trees grow, they reproduce by producing pollen, plants function by growing leaves, petals and branches. They also change over time by their colour, their markings and then eventually they die. The lifespan of living things is given by a rough estimate depending on the longest species of their type (Frank, Kaplan, 2018). “Plants grow old as surely as do animals. However, a generally accepted definition of age in plants has not yet been realized” (Frank, Kaplan, 2018).

The plant on the left was drawn by Leonardo Da Vinci around 1506-12.

Now I will explore the theme of humane life within the museum. There were exhibits directly relating to Life on each floor and an exhibit focused on the Egyptians. The first picture below is the drawing of a brain. “The human brain is the command centre for the human nervous system. It receives signals from the body’s sensory organs and outputs information to the muscles” (Frank, Kaplin, 2018). This shows the importance of the brain for humans as they would not be able to function without their brain sending messages throughout the nervous system. Humans are a living being because they grow from the moment they are produced through fertilisation. The reproduction system causes fertilisation to happen. Humans change throughout their life when humans are reproduced they start off as an egg and grow from then on. Death is a factor within the cycle of life and it happens to everyone around us.

Eventually over time humans will die which could be through natural cause or other causes. The method that is commonly used for a dead body is called embalming so that the body can be preserved for a period until the funeral where the body will be placed in a coffin then be cremated of buried. Funerals are a marking of the dead’s life and to give the family closure that they are now at rest.

The Egyptians used a method called mummification. Mummification is the same process as embalming, but the Egyptians removed the organs that would decay at a faster rate and preserved other organs separately (Smithsonian, n.d). The Egyptians then wrapped the body in linen (Smithsonian, n.d). This process did not happen to everyone as it was expensive (Smithsonian, n.d). The bodies that were mummified and buried in tombs were pharaohs, members of nobility and officials (Smithsonian, n.d).

The final part of my theme I chose to explore was the life of animals this included; wildlife, aquatic life, and livestock. Each animal grows, their features change, they reproduce, they have a function, and then eventually they die. As stated above the lifespan of living things is given by a rough estimate depending on the longest living species within their category (Frank, Kaplan, 2018). Each of the animals below are reproduced, and continually grow from the moment they are fertilised. Some animals die sooner because they are hunted by predators and feed off each other to survive.

longevity: animals

The Table above is from Encyclopedia Britannica and shows the life span of a variety of animals, some of which are in the pictures above (Frank, Kaplan, 2018).

I believe that taking a group of children to the Glasgow Life museums would be a beneficial experience within their learning. They will be able to see a variety of pieces of art and can explore the exhibits and experience workshops within the art gallery. It will encourage thought provoking questions for children to ask in relation to art. It immerses them in the art work and artefacts within the museum and could potentially bring a topic like Egyptians to life.

Collins (2019) – Collins English Dictionary – Definition of ‘Life’ – [Online] https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/life  –  [Accessed on 16th February 2019]

Frank, W, P., Kaplan, L. (2018) – Encyclopaedia Britannica – Life Span – [Online] – https://www.britannica.com/science/life-span – [Accessed on 16th February 2019]

Smithsonian (n.d) – Ancient Egypt – Egyptian Mummies [Online] – https://www.si.edu/spotlight/ancient-egypt/mummies [Accessed on 16th February 2019]

Concrete Poetry Week 5 – 7/2/19

In today’s session we revisited the concept of our evocative object. Within the first session we were asked to bring in our evocative object and explain why it was evocative to us.  Later in the session we were set a task to write 62 words that related to our poem as we were going to create a piece of concrete poetry. Concrete poetry is sometimes called shape poetry it forms a shape to illustrate the subject of the poem as well as through literal meaning (Nesbitt, 2019). Through looking at examples of concrete poetry on The Getty Institute Website it gave us insight that our poems did not need to rhyme our poetry could be a variety of words that describe the subject of the poem just by looking at it.

A glass sculpture with a wooden base on which the word "star," repeated twelve times in a zigzag formation, is followed by the word "steer."A postcard featuring five concentric circles of text naming many types of stars such as "morning star," "day star," and "guiding star."

(The Getty Research Institute 2017)

I created my poem based around my engagement ring. I tried to make it rhyme similar to a limerick poem but I wanted to write it into the shape of a ring.

My 62 words are;

“My engagement ring is a long-lasting thing, it has a place on my left ring finger, there are many memories that linger, it is a token of everlasting love, it fitted my hand like a glove, to others it might be a bit of bling, but to me it is a long-lasting thing.

Love, Together, Future, Best Friend, Forever, Bride and Groom, Wedding.”

I found this session very relaxing and enjoyed allowing my pencil to explore the page creating a piece of art with an array of words highlighting what my engagement ring meant to me.

This task was a representation of how the arts can be integrated throughout the school curriculum. This task linked to art as we created an art piece using visual information from experiences across literacy by creating a text of my own choice choosing a subject and format.

“I can create a range of visual information through observing and recording from my experiences across the curriculum” (EXA 0-04a / EXA 1-04a) (Education Scotland, 2004).

“I enjoy creating texts of my choice and I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to suit the needs of my audience” (LIT 1-20a / LIT 2-20a) (Education Scotland 2004).

I think that children would really enjoy an experience like this as they would be creating an art piece not realising that it is developing their literacy skills at the same time. Creating a concrete poem would be enjoyable for children because they can use a variety of materials and develop their artistic skills to represent their object and it’s meaning to the child.

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes. – [Online] – https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed on 7th February 2019]

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Literacy and English Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] – https://education.gov.scot/Documents/literacy-english-eo.pdf [Accessed on 7th February 2019]

Nesbitt, K. (2019) – Poetry4Kids – How to Write a Concrete Poem. [Online] – https://www.poetry4kids.com/news/how-to-write-a-concrete-poem/ [Accessed on 7th February 2019]

The Getty Research Institute (2017) – Concrete Poetry: Words and Sounds in a Graphic Space. [Online] – http://www.getty.edu/research/exhibitions_events/exhibitions/concrete_poetry/index.html [Accessed on 7th February 2019]

Graphic Score and Soundscapes – Week 4 31/1/19

In today’s session we looked at a graphic score and soundscapes. “Unlike the more traditional five-lined musical stave, with each line and each space representing a different pitch, a graphic score is a different way of notating a piece of music” (Classic FM, 2019). Therefore, a graphic score is when a sound or instrument is connected with a drawn picture which in turn makes up a key of images. It reads from left to right and as u reach each column there can be a variety of sounds at the one time. A soundscape is a piece of music that is considered in terms of it’s component sounds (Google, 2019). A soundscape is used to create an atmosphere for a specific theme.

As a class we chose a theme of bonfire night and came up with all the different sounds you would hear when going to see a public display. The types of noises we would hear would be music, talking, eating, generators, a countdown, bang, sizzle, crackle and whistle. We all chose a noise and worked on what it would sound like using body percussion, vocal sounds and musical instruments. We then added images to represent the noises.

We then tried it with the lecturer being the conductor pointing to each line of the scale. Another member of our class chose to be the conductor while the rest of us made the soundscape.

We then went into groups and chose a theme, created our own graphic score and used various instruments, body percussion and vocals to create the sounds that we wanted. Our group chose a haunted house theme within this we had; the xylophone playing twinkle little star, piano playing high and low-pitched music, we scratched our fingernails against a chair, had a door creaking sound effect from YouTube, a high-pitched scream from a group member, a drumstick to make the sound of a clock and bongo drums for the sound of music.

This activity would be a great activity to use in a primary school because it lets children decide their own theme and experiment with the different sounds of instruments. It also gets them to use instruments to represent other noises for example; bongo drums being footsteps. It allows children to use their creativity and imagination to use the instruments for other purposes. According to the ARTS Education Partnership (AEP, 2011) music develops an individual to become original and flexible which are key parts of creativity and innovation (AEP, 2011).  I think children would really enjoy an activity like this and it encourages learning of music in a different way.

We were asked last week to bring in an animated clip with two contrasting songs to show how music can change the mood of an animation. Two other class members and I decided to choose the clips below and add happy music and sad music to them to change the way the viewer sees the clip.

I think this activity would be beneficial because it would show children how music can change the feeling of a scene or video clip and make them view it in a different way. It proves that music can make a difference to the way that you feel when you are watching something. The experience and outcome that I thought linked with this activity was ““Inspired by a range of stimuli and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities” (EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a) (Education Scotland, 2004).

ARTS Education Partnership (AEP) (2011) – Why Music Matters – NAMM Foundation – Massachusetts. Washington [Accessed on 31st January 2019]

Classic FM (2019) – What is A Graphic Score? – [Online] – https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/graphic-scores-art-music-pictures/graphical-scores/ [Accessed on 31st January 2019]

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] – https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed on 31st January 2019]

Google (2019) – Soundscape Definition – [Online] – https://www.dictionary.com/browse/soundscape [Accessed On 31st January 2019]

Emotions throughout Music – Week 3 – 24/1/19

This week we were asked to pick two songs that made us feel happy and sad. We could pick two songs that meant something to us personally or it could have been related to our evocative object. As I had chosen two songs last week related to my evocative object I thought I would choose two songs that meant something to me.

This was a very difficult choice because there was a variety of different music that would make me feel happy but not very many that made me feel sad. I chose 2 very different songs one I chose because it brings back happy and sad memories related to my granda and another that reminds me of my niece and brings a smile to my face every time I hear it. Hallam (2010) states that music could have the ability to allow feelings to grow and make people feel sensitively about a piece of music and its word choice. We were then to share these songs with the class and share why these songs made u feel the way they did.

I chose this song because it brings back a variety of emotions of my granda. He used to sing this song to me all the time on the lead up to his 64th birthday. The month after his 64th birthday my granda had passed away. This song is one of the many that I remember him singing to me therefore it means a lot to me. While trying to explain this to my peers I found it very difficult and emotional to say what had happened out loud and why the song meant a lot as it was an emotion I had never shared. “Music is seen as a source of support when young people are feeling troubled or lonely, acting as a mood regulator, helping to maintain a sense of belonging and community (Zillman & Gan, 1997)” (cited in Hallam, 2010, Pg.280).

This song means something to me because my 3-year-old niece loves to sing and dance to it. Every time I hear it on the radio I always turn it up a wee bit louder because I’m used to her asking me. Every time I hear it I can just imagine her wee voice singing along to it. Therefore, this song brings back good memories of her dancing around and enjoying herself and it never fails to make me smile.

Listening to the variety of songs that people had picked to share was nice. You heard stories about their backgrounds and why the song had meant a lot to them. It was interesting that in a class of around 20 there was no repetition of songs. Each song held a variety of memories for the person playing it, but other members of the class may have had a different memory of the same song. Each person is different, and each song means something to them personally.

For this activity it gave some people real exposure in to their personal feelings and it shows that the arts can be used to express emotions and feelings towards certain topics. The arts for me is one of the only subjects that I can express my emotions through a different character and in a different way. Therefore, I think children being immersed in the arts is important as it exposes their emotions in a different way. If this subject becomes sensitive for children in a classroom a teacher can play a variety of different songs that would provoke anyone’s feelings when listening to them.

“I have listened to a range of music and can respond by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work” EXA 1-19a / EXA 2-19a (Education Scotland, 2004).

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence: Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] – https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed on 7th February 2019]

Hallam, S. (2010) – International Journal of Music Education – The power of music: Its impact on the intellectual, social and personal development of children and young People – Sage Publications

Evocative Objects Week 2 – 17/1/19

This week we continued focus on our evocative object but looking at music in relation to our object. We were to either focus on a song which exists that reminds us of our evocative object or we were to create a piece of music on the app garage band that you could make and relate it to your object.

I attempted to use garage band to create a piece of music that would have a holiday vibe to it but I was not able to work it on the app on the laptop therefore I decided to choose two songs that already exist that my fiancé and I call ours. One is “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane this directly related to us throughout our friendship. Also “I Won’t Let You Go” by James Morrison. We both say that the lyrics to each of these songs are very true to our situation when we were best friends and when we got together, our relationship grew stronger.

The first verse of Somewhere Only We know I specifically relate to our friendship.
“I walked across an empty land, I knew the pathway like the back of my hand, I felt the earth beneath my feet, Sat by the river and it made me complete”.

At the time he lived in Saltcoats, I lived in Glasgow and it would be a regular Saturday or Sunday drive where me, my dad and my step mum would take a long route throughout Ayrshire. Beginning at Ayr going through to Saltcoats, Seamill, Port Glasgow and Greenock. I would regularly speak to William and I knew Saltcoats well because I had always visited with my family. Any time I visited Saltcoats I sat by the sea front comforted knowing he lived close by but never knowing how close he was until I had met him a few years later and we did the route ourselves.

When we met and after a year and a half our relationship had grown stronger he introduced this song to me and said, “this would be the ideal song for a first dance”. I had already heard the song before but hearing it from then it has changed my perspective of the song completely.

“If there’s love just feel it, and if there’s life we’ll see it, this is no time to be alone, alone yeah, I won’t let you go”.

This part of the song relates to our relationship now because when he decided to propose to me he had saw a life spent with me and that he wouldn’t let me go easily.
This was a really nice task as it made me reminisce about our friendship and our relationship and it took me back with all the memories that we had just as friends and all the memories throughout our relationship. I found it a good task to just sit and listen to a song and the flashback of all the memories and emotions you felt at the time. “Music training not only helps children develop fine motor skills but aids emotional and behavioural maturation as well” (Nutt, 2015).

Allowing children to pick a particular song that spurs emotion is a positive way of getting children to express their feelings about the words or subject surrounding the song. This links to both health and wellbeing and the expressive arts because children are expressing their feelings towards a piece of music that is directly related to the object that means something to them.

Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities (EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a) (Education Scotland 2004).

I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them (HWB 0-01a / HWB 1-01a / HWB 2-01a / HWB 3-01a / HWB 4-01a) (Education Scotland, 2004).

A, E. Nutt (2015) The Washington Post – Music lessons spur emotional and behavioral growth in children, new study says [Online] – https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/01/07/music-lessons-spur-emotional-and-behavioral-growth-in-children-new-study-says/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.04886088f7ec [Accessed on 17th January 2019]

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] – https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed on 17th January 2019]

Evocative Objects – 10/01/2019

Before today’s session we had been emailed to ask if we could bring an evocative object into class. I would have wanted to bring something belonging to my grandad who passed away suddenly from a heart attack in 2005 but did not have anything. Therefore, I decided to take in my engagement ring. According to the Oxford Dictionary (2019) the meaning of evocative is that it brings strong emotions, memories and images to the mind. When I chose my engagement ring I knew that it reminded me of good memories and powerful emotions.

Today we sat in a circle within the class and each spoke about our object that meant something to each of us. Some objects were as simple as teddy bears others were pieces of jewellery that had meant something to the person that had been passed down from grandparents or had been given as a birthday present. Some people showed emotion while speaking openly about their object, each item had a personal a story behind them. “Thinking about the uncanny, about thresholds and boundaries helps us understand these objects with their universal powers of evocation” (Turkle, 2011).

I chose my engagement ring as my evocative object because it brings back memories from Gran Canaria in June last year. Me and my boyfriend were going on holiday for sun and relaxation, little did I know he had planned for months to propose to me and make our relationship eternal. It showed how much I meant to him and he wanted me to become his wife one day in the future.

As my ring has a lot of meaning for me it is a perfect object to create a piece of writing with 62 words or less using the book “26 treasures”. Within the 6 sessions we will be creating a concrete poem including words about our object. “A Concrete Poem can be named a shape poem it is a shape which represents the topic of a poem” (Nesbitt, 2019). I want my concrete poem to be written in the shape of a ring.

I think that this would be beneficial for children to explain why certain objects mean something to them. It may seem strange to their peers but to the child the object has a powerful story behind it. It could inspire children to write a story based around their item giving a description of how it looks, how it makes them feel and what strong powerful memories come to their mind when they look at their object. It could allow children to reflect on good memories and emotions. Although for some children it may bring back bad memories it is essential to ensure that the child does not have to say there story aloud and that they do not have to take part in a writing piece if it was too difficult for them instead they could draw their object that they brought in to the classroom.

The literacy, Health and Wellbeing and arts outcomes I found that linked in with what we were using out evocative object for is;

“As I write for different purposes and readers, I can describe and share my experiences, expressing what they made me think about and how they made me feel” (ENG 2-30a) (Education Scotland 2004).

“Through observing and recording from my experiences across the curriculum, I can create images and objects which show my awareness and recognition of detail” (EXA 2-04a) (Education Scotland 2004).

“I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them” (HWB 0-01a / HWB 1-01a / HWB 2-01a/ HWB 3-01a / HWB 4-01a) (Education Scotland 2004).

Concrete poems within themselves can be a cross between health and wellbeing, literacy and art. The children are bringing in an object that allows them to express their feelings and develop the ability to talk about them to others. The children are creating art because they will be writing poems which is a variety of words that have meaning or surround a particular topic and it will be in written in a shape which can cross over for art. This shows that literacy and art can be interlinked and children can still be achieving three curricular areas stretching their cognitive development without realisation.

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] –https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed on 10th January 2019]

Nessbitt, K. (2019) – Poetry4Kids – How to Write a Concrete Poem – [Online] – https://www.poetry4kids.com/news/how-to-write-a-concrete-poem/ [Accessed on 10th January 2019]

Oxford Dictionary (2019) – Definition of Evocative – [Online] https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/evocative [Accessed on 10th January 2019]

Turkle, S. (2011). Evocative objects. 1st ed. Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press. [Accessed on 10 January 2019]