Learning through ANIMATION

Before todays session, if someone would have asked me what animation was I would have answered cartoons. This is a common answer for people of this generation or later. Animation is a filmmaking technique where illusion of motion is created frame-by-frame. The word comes from Latin word, ‘anima’ meaning ‘life’ or ‘soul’.

Animation can be traced back to sequences of images used to decorate the walls of Egyptian tombs. Since then, the quest of capturing motion has been a common theme for artistic endeavour and its applications are diverse, ranging from motion pictures and games to medicine and scientific simulation.

This method of art is especially beneficial for visual learners who are motivated by pictures and sound and prefer to express themselves in this medium rather than through traditional methods. Animation gives pupils the opportunity to develop visual literacy skills and build problem-solving skills.

Through this session I was able to create an animation using sand. This method is time consuming but will teach pupils patience and how to look at the tiny details of things in order to create something beautiful. My group decided to create a story about finding love.

Below is some pictures of the process.

Through patience and paying attention to detail we were able to create a short animation. To create the look of continuous film, we had to create a picture in the sand and take around 25 pictures per frame. Below is the animation we created. Unfortunately, the file with the video is not supported by this blog, therefore a screenshot of the video has been inserted.