Evocative Objects

“Theory enables us, for example, to explore how everyday objects become part of our inner life: how we use them to extend the reach of our sympathies by bringing the world within.”

Today was our first insight into this module and we spent some time going over what we were to expect from the module and the different areas that we will be covering. The following passage gives a summary of the module.

In general this module will give expression to our understanding of the role of the arts and culture in society. Through this module, learners’ intellectual, personal and social development will be enhanced. Learners will also be provided with opportunities to experience group and partnership working.

In today’s session with Diarmuid, we spent time going over each individuals evocative object and the meaning behind it, which makes it so special. An evocative object is something which holds significant meaning to the person, not necessarily anyone else. It is a personal emotion, feeling or memories for that individual.

Some peoples evocative objects were small, large and some were common household objects or instruments. This illustrates that anything can provide you with a memory or emotion if it has a story. In my case, I choose to bring in a bracelet as my evocative object. This simple bracelet has a powerful and emotional story behind it, which makes it the perfect evocative object. This was a bracelet that my great-grandfather gave to me before he sadly passed away. My sister, cousin and myself all received this infinity bracelet as he stated that “the bond family shares is ever-lasting.” This expression and the infinity symbol has stuck with me throughout my life and holds a special place in my heart.

After everyone had explained the story behind their evocative object Diarmuid displayed a book containing several evocative objects within it entitled “26 treasures”. This book included several objects with stories attached to it, 62 words or less. Diarmuid instructed us that he would like us to write our own creative passage for our object. He stated that we must not think about what we are writing must just do it! Let the words flow on the page.

Below is the page in my notebook where I expressed my creativity on my object.

• Simmons, J. (2012). 26 treasures. 1st ed. London: Unbound.
  • Turkle, S. (2011). Evocative objects. 1st ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.