Week 2

This weeks task revolved around our evocative object but in another way. Rather than expressing our feelings and emotions through words, we were to create our own piece of music relating to our evocative object.

As previously mentioned, my evocative object was my granny’s weddings rings. As the rings are symbolic of love I wanted to have some church chimes throughout the song. My granny and grandpa were married in a church so I felt this represented the rings well. I used the emotions I felt to try and think of other musical instruments that I could hear when I looked at the wedding rings.

Although, the rings have some sad elements I wanted my piece of music to sound happy and upbeat. We used an app called Garage Band to compose our piece of music.

Below is the piece of music I created.

This would interesting to do with children, often children would struggle to express their emotions in words so to do this through composing music is another way of using arts through-out the curriculum. Music is beneficial to children in a number of ways;  it can  help sharpen student attentiveness, strengthen perseverance, equip students to be creative and support better study habits and self esteem. It has been found that pupils who are interested in music and play a musical instrumental are the most likely group to be admitted to a medical school (Arts Education Partnership, 2011).

Furthermore, children would be developing many skills as well as being able to communicate their feelings in another way.