Write a Commonwealth Games song!
Big Big Sing is a nationwide celebration of singing that will inspire thousands of people to get singing in the lead up to and during Games Time. As part of this project, Big Big Sing is running an exciting songwriting competition open to Primary and Secondary School pupils in Scotland.
Big Big Sing invites pupils to write a song inspired by the Commonwealth Games, pupils can work individually or as a class to write a song between three and five minutes in length. With the games just around the corner there’s no shortage of inspiration for budding songwriters!
There’s a fantastic prize on offer which includes having a video of the winning song made and performing the song in front of thousands as part of the Glasgow 2014 Cultural Programme! One winning entry will be picked from each category (Primary and Secondary School) by an expert judging panel.
Prize up for grabs:
– A special video of entrants performing the song
– A recording of the song included and promoted on the Big Big Sing website
– A performance spot at the BIG Big Big Sing event in Glasgow during July 2014.
For full guidelines and to find out more about the competition and the project in general please visit http://www.bigbigsing.org/start-singing/song-competition/.
Game On Scotland ambassador Holly Cram awarded Pitlochry High School with the Game On plaque for the challenges they have set themselves to creating exciting learning experiences in the wake of the Commonwealth Games.
The school has planned a whole year of challenges around the Games, ranging from inter-house activity days with Dragon’s Den presentations of their own mascot design to exploring the Commonwealth values. An extensive programme of sporting and outdoor initiatives support the agenda with swim- and bikeathons, extra curricular athletics, badminton competitions organised by the Youth Sport ambassadors, climbing, kayaking & mountaineering and even ‘Street Dance’ sessions. The school will conclude the year with two major events, the Primary Cluster and the High School Commonwealth Sports Day.
Congratulations and best wishes from the Game On Scotland team.
Available to teachers, support staff, school governors and others who are involved in teaching and inspiring children about plants, gardening and keeping animals in school. A wide range of topics is available, encompassing the use and development of school grounds, thus providing practical experience, activities and ideas for utilising horticulture in all areas of the curriculum.
The aims of this Programme are:
- To enthuse and support adults in developing and using gardens in school.
- To support progression through the RHS Campaign for School Gardening benchmarking scheme, levels 1 to 5.
- To encourage and advise teaching of the curriculum both inside and outside the classroom using, plants, gardens, animals, school grounds and environmental areas.
- To improve knowledge and understanding of plants, gardening and raising animals in school.
- The courses begin at 10.00am and finish at approximately 3.00pm, unless otherwise stated.
- Part of the day is usually spent outdoors, so please bring/wear suitable clothing and footwear.
- Lunch is included in the cost.
- Payment is required before the course date. Please send a non-refundable cheque made payable to the RHS or request an invoice with your booking.
- Further information and directions will be sent shortly before the course.
£60 per person
For further details about the courses and to register your school for the RHS ‘Campaign for school gardening’ visit: rhs.org.uk/schoolgardening
Authors Live is stepping back in time on Thursday 6th June with renowned popular historian, actor and author, Tony Robinson, to discover the strange secrets hidden in our Weird World of Wonders. Join us in a live webstream at 11am from the BBC as we march through time with the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians and find out what made us Britons British. It’s history, but not as you know it! This event is suitable for P3-7 or age 7-12 years.
Find out more information in Glow TV – Authors Live – Tony Robinson
Following on from Tony’s live event at the BBC he will be joining us on the Glow TV Studio couch at 1.30pm for a live question and answer session – make sure you can join us then!! – Glow Authors Live – Tony Robinson