School open day
9:30am – 3.00pm, Monday 20th February 2012
Theme: Sustainable Development Education
This event was originally due to take place on 8th December 2011 but had to be cancelled due to the severe storms. It has now been rescheduled for Monday 20th February 2012.
Whitelees Primary School hit the headlines in 2011 when it became the first primary school to be awarded five ‘excellent’ grades by the school inspectors. This isn’t the first time their achievements have made news. The school’s accolades and awards include:
- Finalist, Scottish Education Awards – Sustainable School category (2011)
- Best Green School Award (2009)
- Winner, Scottish Education Awards – Best Enterprise category (2008)
- Four Green Flags, Eco-Schools Scotland.
A key factor in the school’s success has been the way it has placed global citizenship and sustainable development education at the heart of the curriculum to provide exciting, relevant and engaging contexts for learning. This has helped to create, ‘Highly motivated, confident and ambitious children who are keen to learn and to make a difference in school and the wider community.’
This CPD event offers practitioners and school leaders from across Scotland the chance to visit Whitelees Primary School to meet with the Head Teacher, staff and learners and also tour the classrooms, buildings and grounds. A focus of the event will be to identify and share the practical lessons and ideas that have helped the school develop a successful whole school approach to sustainability and global citizenship including:
- A sustained commitment to pupil voice with learners being given real opportunities to shape the curriculum and school decision making
- Effective use of the school grounds, nature and vegetable gardens to support outdoor learning and deliver the curriculum
- The inspiring pupil rock band which has achieved notable success through their songs about fair trade and climate change.
Those participating in the open day will also have time to reflect and share their own experiences.
How to book
To book, please email: email@example.com or Tel. 0141 282 5172.
Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment. This is a free event!