Scottish Book Trust is pleased to announce the books chosen for the 2016/17 Bookbug Bags.
The books to be distributed free to every baby, toddler and 3-year-old in Scotland between Spring 2016 and Spring 2017, are as follows:
Bookbug Baby Bag
• One, two, three…Run! by Carol Thomson (Child’s Play)
• Happy Baby Playtime by Toby Reynolds and Paul Calver (Hachette)
• Peekaboo Farm by Emily Bolam (MacMillan)
Bookbug Toddler Bag
• Pants! by Giles Andreae and Nick Sharratt (Random House)
• Say Hello Like This! by Mary Murphy (Walker Books)
• Flip and Find Builders by Samantha Meredith (Campbell Books – MacMillan)
In 2015, Scottish Book Trust and Live Music Now Scotland came together to provide 10 weekly music sessions at an Early Years Centre in Edinburgh and have created a new CD of music, songs and rhymes. This CD and an egg shaker will now be distributed in the Bookbug Toddler Bag. You can read more about this here.
Bookbug Explorer Bag
• Owl Babies by Martin Waddell and Patrick Benson (Walker Books)
• The Disgusting Sandwich by Gareth Edwards and Hannah Shaw (Scholastic, UK)
• Goodnight Tractor by Michelle Robinson and Nick East (Penguin)
The bags gifted to 3-year-olds at nursery, formerly Pirate themed, are now called Explorer bags. This change will come into effect in March 2016.
Catriona Wallace, Head of Early Years at Scottish Book Trust said:
“We are very excited to announce the new titles for this year’s Bookbug Bags. Our expert panel has carefully selected books by fantastic authors and illustrators and we hope that mums, dads and carers will enjoy sharing these stories with their children. Bookbug bags are a fun way to introduce your babies and toddlers to stories, songs and rhymes, and boost their language and listening skills.”
Bookbug is Scotland’s national book gifting programme, gifting books to every baby, toddler, 3 and 5-year-old in Scotland in four free Bookbug bags:
• Baby Bag (gifted by a health visitor to every baby)
• Toddler Bag (gifted by a health visitor to every toddler)
• Explorer Bag (gifted at nursery to every 3-year-old)
• Primary 1 Family Bag (gifted at school to every P1 pupil)
The Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag for 2016/17 will include free copies of the three shortlisted books from the Bookbug category of the Scottish Children’s Book Awards, which will be announced in September 2016. These bags will be distributed to Primary 1 children during Book Week Scotland in late November.
For more information go to the Scottish Book Trust website.