Professional learning programmes to support leadership

“Being a headteacher has offered me the opportunity to make a difference on a scale that is unlike any I have ever known” – Anne Graham, Headteacher, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar

The Scottish College of Educational Leadership  has announced that applications for the following programmes are now open: Teacher Leadership, Into Headship, In Headship, and Towards Headship. Each programme is designed to suit the learning and development of those at different stages in their career. Links to further information and application forms can be found within the programme descriptions below.

Teacher Leadership

The Teacher Leadership Programme is open to all post-probation teachers in Scotland. It is primarily aimed at teachers who are seeking professional learning opportunities to develop their leadership of learning and teaching in their context. A central feature of the Teacher Leadership Programme is enquiring into an aspect of the participants’ classroom practice. Teachers are supported to take an enquiring approach to developing an aspect of learning and teaching of their choosing as appropriate for their learners.

Into Headship

Into Headship is Scotland’s national qualification for headship and is designed for teachers aspiring to be a headteacher. Into Headship focusses on the specificity of headship and the strategic role of headteachers. Aspirant headteachers are supported to develop and continue to build the necessary knowledge, skills and understanding required of senior leaders.

“Into Headship helped me enormously as a leader. With increased knowledge and understanding of the national and international perspective, I now have a deeper appreciation of why we do things – and because my opinions and values are rooted in knowledge I have far more conviction and self-belief. I’ve become less operational and more strategic.” Claire Slowther, Headteacher, Dunbar Grammar School.

In Headship

The In Headship programme is for headteachers within their first 2 years of headship, and is designed to provide support in transitioning to their new role. The programme is open to all new headteachers including those in a substantive post and those in an acting post (if the post will be held for longer than the duration of the programme).

It builds on, enhances and advances academic and professional learning gained through the successful completion of the postgraduate qualification Into Headship through which the GTCS Standard for Headship was initially attained. The programme provides a means for the deepening of understanding, application and evaluation of the Standard for Headship in practice, operating within the SCQF level 11 framework.

Towards Headship

Towards Headship supports the continuous professional learning of aspirant headteachers already awarded the Standard for Headship who are now considering headship as their next career step and wish to engage in further learning.

Towards Headship builds upon previous professional learning through engagement in collaborative learning experiences with other aspiring headteachers, within the specific context of school leadership and preparation for headship.