John Byrne National Drawing Competition – 2017 runner-up blog

Eleana Meikle, S3 pupil at Wellington School in Ayr scooped 2nd place at this year’s John Byrne National Drawing competition.  Find out why Eleana entered the competition.

I found out about the competition from my art teacher. The department entered lots of work to the competition. To decide on what I was going to draw I decided that I really like textures and thought that a contrast of rough textures with smooth shiny shoes would be very powerful.

I decided to work in mixed media and used biro pen, white pencil and newspaper collage on brown paper to let me layer and create multiple textures. This mixture also gave the drawing boldness but I could also manage to draw the detail with the pen and pencil.

When I was told about my win I felt ecstatic about gaining 2nd place. This made me really happy and proud of my work.

It was a very positive experience coming to the gallery and seeing my work in a frame with other pupils work. I have never done this before and it really was confidence boosting.

If I had to say to other pupils why they should enter the competition I would tell them to go for it, it’s excellent. The feeling was great and the prize was so generous.

The 2018 John Byrne National Drawing Competition is open for entries, find out more on the Education Scotland website.