Laura Spence , HT at Dalgety Bay Primary School has adopted a unique approach to ensure that career education is an integral part of the school improvement planning. Embracing the Career Education Standard 3-18 all staff have used Learning Resource 1: Introduction to the Career Education Standard in order to embed the entitlements into the learning and teaching across the school.
This approach has become a cluster model and has been recognised by and share across Fife Council .
The school’s vision of realising their ambitions to provide all children with opportunities to connect leanring with the world of work include the following actions :
- Teachers will provide creative opportunities to develop the skills for life in meaningful and relevant contexts within their class.
- All teacher will deliver 4D learning intentions, consistently linking each lesson to career education.
- Our weekly assemblies will regularly include information on specific careers, making children aware of the range of employment opportunities on offer.
- Children from P5 onwards will have access to the ‘My World of Work’ website where they will have the opportunity to explore different career options focusing on skills and qualifications.
- Classroom displays and planning will include links to Career Education throughout the school.
- We will continue to engage with local business partners and beyond to develop contacts and create a database of professionals prepared to support the school in developing Career Education within school.
- We will be planning and organising a Career Education Day that will take place on 22nd November 2016.
Find out more about Dalgety Bay Primary Schools approach by accessing the summary information, SLF 2017 presentation and school DYW leaflet here: