International School Meals Day
Thursday 9th March 2017
International School Meals Day encourages children and young people around the world to connect and talk to each other about the food they eat and the role that it plays in their lives.
In 2017 the theme is Food, Culture and Heritage
Share your food stories & be part of a global event
Join our Glow meets on the day!
Sign up to take part here
The way that food is cultivated, prepared and consumed is an expression of culture and heritage. This year’s theme provides an opportunity for pupils to express themselves through the food and associated traditions that form an important part of their identity.
In the run up to International School Meals Day we want pupils from around the world to share their food stories through whichever medium they wish
pictures / posters / videos / poems / stories / dance /drama
The approach that you take to getting pupils to think about their culture and heritage and its associated food traditions is up to each individual school and classroom. However, here are some quick ideas of how ISMD can be celebrated:
- Deliver one-minute talks or videos about favourite meals and national traditions
- Have an International Menu Day
- Have food tasting sessions or other fun food activities
- Fundraising activities for charities to support school feeding programmes in developing countries
- Incorporate global citizenship and food culture into classroom learning
- Have sessions on the theme of ‘food’, with extracts from favourite poems and stories
- Skype – teachers and students can skype with another school around the world to share their experience of food, culture and heritage.
Stories and pictures will be shared on the ISMD website and on Twitter so be sure and follow
@IntSchoolMeals and use the hashtag #ISMD2017.