SCEL Fellowship Programme – help us build Scotland’s community of champions for educational leadership

scel

The Scottish College for Educational Leadership (SCEL) tells us how pleased they are to be able to announce details of a further opportunity for experienced, serving Head Teachers and Heads of early learning and childcare establishments to become SCEL Fellows through participation in the Fellowship Programme.

SCEL is in the process of recruiting participants for Cohort 3 and is keen to ensure that this opportunity is shared widely among ELC professionals.

We know that SCEL Fellows are an active community of champions for leadership and teaching in Scotland, and SCEL is really keen to find the right people to join the third cohort of the Fellowship Programme.

Application is open to Head Teachers and Heads of Establishment who normally have a minimum of five years successful experience and a proven track record of strategic leadership in and beyond the school/establishment setting.

The Fellowship Programme aims to provide stretching development opportunities for experienced leaders to support their capacity to contribute to system level leadership and to have a positive impact on outcomes for children and young people across the country.

Upon successful completion of the programme, participants become SCEL Fellows supporting system developments including within their own authority area. Feedback from previous participants has been very positive:
“The Fellowship Programme has been the best professional learning for me ever! The access to such high-level professional dialogue, educational expertise and learning opportunities has been second to none. I feel that it has enhanced my performance as a leader and my learning and involvement with SCEL has not only benefitted me but my staff too and my HT colleagues in the Local Authority as I take on more strategic roles. I think differently now, more as a system level leader and feel ‘my eyes have been opened’ to the bigger educational picture both nationally and internationally.”

“The opportunity to engage with experienced colleagues, leading thinkers and researchers has had a massive positive impact on me as a person and as a leader. I have found myself re-stimulated and reinvigorated in my role and I look forward to my continuing engagement with colleagues and the college.”

“The SCEL Fellowship Programme is answering the question that many HTs have been asking for some time – how can I work and collaborate with colleagues for the greater-good of the educational system and young people.”

So, if you are interested do not hesitate to complete an application form. The closing date for applications is 14 March 2016 . These can be obtained from SCEL administrator: emma.miller@scelscotland.org.uk.

As part of the process, applicants are asked to complete a form giving a personal rationale for their participation in the programme and evidence of their engagement to date in system leadership. Applications should be accompanied by a letter from the Director of Education/Head of Service confirming experience at system level and support for participation. Applicants should also give consideration to an area of enquiry linked to local authority/national priorities with their Director of Education in advance of submitting the application.
The costs of the programme will be part funded by SCEL, with an additional cost per participant of £1000.

Applications will be assessed initially by a sifting panel with potential participants being invited for interview on 23/24 March 2016.

Further information about the Fellowship programme can be found here.