The National Numeracy and Mathematics Hub is a virtual learning environment for all practitioners. The Hub provides an innovative approach to career-long professional learning for all practitioners in all sectors. It is an interactive, virtual learning environment which offers practitioners:
- Professional learning in different aspects of numeracy with a focus on progression, numeracy and mathematics skills, numeracy across learning, assessment and moderation and teaching.
- Career-long professional learning opportunities of various types such as broadcasts, professional reading and action research.
- An easy to use environment where you can share and work with colleagues from across Scotland as well as those from your own school or authority.
Education Scotland website:
Provides practitioners with excellent resources and guidance to help develop learning and teaching in Numeracy and Mathematics including;
National Numeracy Progression Framework – This resource has been created to deepen practitioners’ knowledge and understanding of progression within the experiences and outcomes for numeracy and mathematics. It included progression pathways with key milestones and building blocks for each of the numeracy organisers. Mathematics pathways coming soon, along with previous knowledge and understanding and exemplification.
Professional Learning Resources – These professional learning resources provide guidance and advice to help inform learning and teaching practices in line with the main objectives of the Scottish Survey of Literacy and Numeracy (SSLN). There are PLR’s for;
- Number and Number Processes
- Numeracy and Mathematics Skills– Pupil performance in estimating and rounding
- Fractions, decimal fractions and percentages
- Ideas of chance and uncertainty
- Numeracy in Social Studies
- Higher Order Thinking Skills in Maths
There is also information on Assessing progress and achievement available which includes professional learning activities and key documents on significant aspects of learning and making good assessment decisions.
Other key links and websites to support the development of Numeracy and Mathematics;
The Journey to Excellence: Examples of innovative and interesting practice. Search ‘mathematics’ or ‘numeracy’ in to the search facility.
STEM e-bulletin http://bit.ly/STEMeBulletin
(Up to date news, information, resources and professional learning)
STEM Central in MOTION blog http://bit.ly/BlogSTEM
(more up to date news on STEM)
STEM Central website http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/stemcentral/
(high quality resources, teaching ideas, videos etc to develop learning experiences relating to sciences, technologies, engineering and mathematics
Main Contact for Numeracy and Mathematics Team at Education Scotland:
Lorna Harvey, Acting Senior Education Officer
Optima Building, 58 Robertson Street
Tel: 0141 282 5119 email@example.com