New Education Officer for Forestry Commission Scotland

lichen

Forestry Commission Scotland has appointed Sarah Archer as the new Education Officer for the Central Scotland area.

Sarah is responsible for delivering the Commission’s Woods for Learning Strategy, which encourages the use of woodlands for learning outdoors in early learning and childcare, primary and secondary education. Her role will have a focus on young children and involves working with educational establishments to support outdoor learning projects, such as Forest Kindergartens, and to co-ordinate Forest Kindergarten training for early learning and childcare practitioners.

Sarah said: “I know from my own teaching days what a difference being outdoors can make to learning, so I am really looking forward to working with nurseries and schools across central Scotland to develop Forest Kindergartens and other outdoor learning projects.

“There is lots of evidence to demonstrate the education, health and well-being benefits of outdoor learning and the Commission’s involvement in this area is continuing to grow. A key part of my work will be to build on this and encourage greater use of forests, woodlands and green spaces for education.”

Forest Kindergartens provide opportunities for young children to explore their local woodland or natural outdoor setting for active learning and play on a regular basis.

Sarah is a qualified primary school teacher and also brings a wealth of knowledge from working in the environment sector.

To discuss outdoor learning opportunities, please contact Sarah on 01698 368 553 or email sarah.archer@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

Look out for our autumn edition of Early Years Matters, which features an article on the Forest Kindergarten approach.