I was at a moderation meeting in East Dunbartonshire last week.  Practitioners there have been doing lots of work on looking at the Es and Os at 2nd and 3rd level and have been considering success criteria that demonstrate learners’ progression through each level.  I thought that what they have produced  might be interesting  to help other teachers develop their shared understanding of the Es and Os.  I’ve posted them in the Emerging CfE Practice section in the assessment and moderation documents store.  Let me know if you find them helpful.  Many thanks to C Edwardson of Kirkintilloch High School for sharing her materials.  To access please click here (you will need your Glow password)

2 Responses to “Success Criteria for reading, writing and listening and talking at 2nd and 3rd levels”

1. Quite helpful and I totally understand why teachers feel the need for further guidance around levels – my only fear is that we end up with 5-14 mk2. At least this example isn’t too detailed – I have seen some where the E/O’s have been broken down so much into tiny disconnected steps – we cannot teach languages and literacy in this way but this sort of exemplification will result in teachers using a meaningless tick box approach to learning.

2. Thanks for your comment Barbara. I think that the Kirkintilloch materials are helpful and I agree with you about avoiding a “tick box” approach to the Es and Os. The terms developing, consolidating or secure are not helpful if they are applied to every piece of evidence that a learner produces or every E and O individually. I firmly believe that the term secure should not be used in relation to individual or small groups of Es and Os since this would lead to a fragmented view of learning in the way that you have described in your comment. However, discussion about how learners progress across a level should help teachers use their professional judgement to make an holistic decision about how much and how far a pupil has learned. “Secure” is only really a term that can be applied once a learner has responded consistently well to the level of challenge set out in the Es and Os; has moved forward to more challenging learning in some aspects; and has applied what he/she has learned in new and unfamiliar situations.