Why I wanted to become a primary school teacher

It didn’t surprise any of my family or friends when I told them I was applying to university to become a primary school teacher. Why? The reason why was because whenever I was asked what I wanted to be when I was older, they were always met with the same response, which was of course a teacher. I believe this need to become a teacher came from being in the classroom with my own teachers in primary school. There were two teachers who I believe I will always remember as they were able to make learning fun, active and engaging and as a result made time in the classroom both enjoyable and valuable. I was able to see the teachers as positive role models and wished that I could do the same job as them and make learning fun for children.

My determination to become a primary school teacher has strengthen by the completion of my HNC childhood practice course at college. It was on this course that I was able to have a placement in a primary 1 class and I enjoyed every minute of it! On this placement I was able to work one on one with children and could see how much of a positive effect both myself and the teacher could have on the children’s learning. I was very lucky to get a teacher who was clearly enthusiastic for her job and had a passion for working with children. I was able to witness this teacher and her mannerisms with the children and it made me realise the teacher I aim to be when I am qualified. The act of just being in the classroom with the children and the teacher made me excited for the future and cemented my belief that I had made the right career path for myself.

Welcome to your WordPress eportfolio

Welcome to your ePortfolio. This is where you will document and share your professional thoughts and experiences over the course of your study at the University of Dundee and beyond that when you begin teaching. You have the control over what you want to make public and what you would rather keep on a password protected page.

The ePortfolio in the form of this WordPress blog allows you to pull in material from other digital sources:

You can pull in a YouTube video:

You can pull in a Soundcloud audio track:

You can upload an image or pull one in from Flickr or any other image sharing site.

Teacher, Lorraine Lapthorne conducts her class in the Grade Two room at the Drouin State School, Drouin, Victoria

You can just about pull in anything that you think will add substance and depth to your writing.