Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Set personal goals  x
 self confidence  x
 Team Work  x
 Listening to others  x
 Taking risks  x
 Thinking critically  x
 Taking notes  x
 Converse confidently  x
 Generate new ideas  x

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
  Set personal goals  To set new targets and ensure these goals are met.  I have shown this through my determination to get to university, despite facing struggles at school.  I set small goals enabling me to reach my long term target.
  Team Work  To work togeather effectivley and to encourage others.  Throughout school and college I have worked in several groups. We have always completed the tasks to the best of out abilites and on time.  We did this by encouraging each other and creating a positive environment.
  Listening to others  Taking time to understand others views and opinions. On placements I have listened to childrens questions and worries.  I took into consideration their thoughts and feeling while answering their questions.
  Converse confidently  Not being shy to express my opinions in a positive way  Throughout school and college I was comfortable enough to express my thoughts and ideas.  This helped me to converse easily with both adults and children.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.