Emma Robertson

Personal Reflection Digital Technologies – Animation 20/02/18

Today within Digital technologies we learned about Animation. Bertrancourt (2005) “suggests three ways in which animation can be used to enhance learning: 1.To enhance learners’ visual representations. 2.To illustrate processes. 3.To provide an interactive element.” According to Moving Image Education there are five main types of animation: 1.Cutout – quickest and easiest, 2. Stop-motion – example is plasticine models, 3.Pixillation – humans become the puppets, 4.Drawn – example is the classical Disney animation and  5.Computer – also known as CGI and found in games and movies (Moving Image Education).

Moving Image Education quotes that “Almost anything can be put under the camera and animated – sand, paint, clothes, jewellery, ice, found objects, foliage etc. Likewise, almost anything can form a background.” Moving Image Education states that animating while being in a classroom does not have to be with Play Doh or Plasticine models – cutout animation is by far the easiest technique to start on”.

This makes animation easily accessible as a teacher can explore the apps available with the children to create an animation and use items around the classroom that the children could be involved in making. Children can draw characters or scenes for the story to make it their own.

Throughout my Trimester 1 I had some use of the app puppet pals to create an animation but I never used it previous to that. Therefore I have not had a lot of experience using it or the app called IStopMotion.

At first we were able to explore Puppet Pals app on the IPad.  With this we were to create an animation based on a fairy tale story that we had previously read. We were to include voice recording, movement, change the size of characters and the story was to include a beginning, middle and end. My partner and I created a Beginning and a middle of our story but had not had the chance to finish it. The app was easy to use when we got used to it. I found that it would be beneficial for children if it was used within the classroom as it could help children with ASN who find it difficult to create a story by writing it. Beauchamp, 2012, p.55); “e-Inclusion aims to use digital technologies to minimise the problems that pupils with learning difficulties experience”.  It allows them to create a story of their own through use of the IPad. It gives the children opportunity to put their own voice into a story to create their own characters and imagine how characters would say things at specific points within their story.

Beauchamp (2012, p.54)  states that “through the use of ICT and technology it could allow pupils to accomplish something that could be difficult or even impossible to achieve in any other way”. The use of technology includes those who find it difficult to write a story with pencil and paper. It also allows them to be involved in something that they may not always be able to take part in without a lot of support. Beauchamp (2012) also states that ICT should not be viewed as a subject separate from all other subject areas as it is something that contributes to all areas of learning. This could be through use of interactive games on the smart board relating to literacy and maths or being able to create stories and bring them to life with use of apps such as Puppet Pals.

For the task of creating and IStopMotion animation we worked within pairs. Me and my partner to create our animation we used coloured pens and paper to create the scene of the sea and the boats that were floating in the background. We used Lego to create a port and diving boards. We used bear figurines as our main characters. We used a toy boat for the police boat. Our animation was a family of teddy bears enjoying a day at the beach. The teddy bears were diving from the boards into the sea and when it came to the youngest bear he got frightened and the police boat saved the day and rescued him and took him back to the port where all his family swam and followed. After the bears arrived back to the port they were greeted by their friend and the two children went off to play and build sandcastles. While the animation played Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard.

For our animation we linked it to three outcomes within the curriculum for excellence. The technology outcome we linked it to; “I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. TCH 1-01a” (Education Scotland 2004). I used this because the children would be using the IPad to experiment and explore the apps available to them to be able to create animation. I also linked it to an Expressive Arts outcome; “I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effects and suitability for specific tasks. EXA 1-02a” (Education Scotland 2004). I used this because  the children are able to create scenes throughout art to create their stories and bring them to life. Finally I linked it to Literacy as the children are able to explore the event happening in the story and also have idea of who the characters are to learn how to create their own using their imagination.  “I enjoy exploring events and characters in stories and other texts and I use what I learn to invent my own, sharing these with others in imaginative ways. LIT 0-09b / LIT 0-31a” (Education Scotland 2004).

I think that the use of Animation through technology is a positive because it allows the children to be able to bring imaginative stories to life as they are able to draw their own characters through use of art and cut the characters out so they can create their animation and make their characters move around as if it was a real person. I also think it is beneficial because all resources can be easily accessible to create stories. It is also a fun way to allow children’s imaginations to run wild. It allows children with Additional Support Needs to feel included if they have trouble spelling words and writing as a whole it involves them that they can create a story and tell it through use of technology, art and literacy. It can make the difficult subjects easier for children.

IStopMotion is definitely something I will involve within my teaching career as it is a cross curricular activity that children can take part in bringing in different areas of the curriculum.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed on 21 February 2018]

Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A Very practical Guide for Teachers and Lecturers. Routledge.

Moving Image Education website: Animation [Online] https://movingimageeducation.org/create-films/animation [Accessed: 21 February 2018]

Avatar photo

Author: Emma Robertson

Hello my Name is Emma, I am 19 years old.