Shared Observation Feedback 22.10.18

My partner and I both noted that the teacher spoke with adequate volume all of the time. The teacher enunciated his words clearly. He made the classroom fun to enter, “Ok ladies and jelly beans sit down now”. This is a strength as he starts the class off with a positive, joyful attitude. This gives the classroom a great atmosphere. He had strategies for helping children who were struggling such as shortened targets, this again is a strength.

Raising his voice quite considerably when he was speaking to Michael, this could be seen as quite frightening for the child. This was an area for improvement, he could have asked Michael what the issue was and he could have asked what could have been done to help the situation.

I was surprised at his sharp, aggressive tone with the children at certain points. I was also surprised that my notes and observations were very similar to that of my partners. I didn’t find the tasks too difficult. Most of the teachers strengths and areas of improvement were very clear to hear and see.

Feedback in an important practice as it allows us to build into a better teacher. It allows us to see areas of improvement where maybe we didn’t realise we needed them. Judgement of a teacher is not positive practice because it is not constructive.

If there is one thing i could take away from these tasks then it would be to help develop a positive attitude and mindset in the children.

I am feeling really excited about placement. I am looking forward to seeing the methods the teacher uses to keep the children disciplined and how they teach certain subjects such as literacy and maths. As a fitness instructor and a person who is very keen on health and fitness amongst children, i am particularly interested in seeing how the health and well being is being taught in the school and if there is anything i can do to help.