BLOG 9 – 5/3/19

This week was focused mainly on Games-based learning using a programme called Minecraft. The lesson began with the group discussing about our Blogs and discussing about how we incorporate refection into our Blogs to make it flow nicely. After the discussion I felt a lot more confident about how to reflect better in my Blogs and I hope that this shows throughout my few final Blogs for the module. Beauchamp (2012, P9) stated, “Technology can offer a specific type of play through computer or video games, which can be individual or whole class activities and may be particularly useful in the early years teaching”, this has been particularly true throughout the task today.

Before attending the class, I couldn’t really understand how computer games could possibly enhance a child’s learning. However, after working with Minecraft and realising the huge educational benefits cross curricular that could be achieved was outstanding, I still have a lot to learn about Games-based learning, but I now understand the benefits of using such tools within the classroom. “Game-based Learning approaches build on many children’s existing interests, skills and knowledge and can narrow the gap between children’s home and school cultures” Learning-Teaching Scotland (2010 P5).

Our group decided to design a task on Minecraft that was relevant to today, we thought that it made the topic for the children more relevant. On reflection of our choice I feel it was a good one, but I also realise that this task could be tied into History and to be open minded about all areas of the curriculum for excellence (Please find attached below pics of today’s tasks). I quickly came to realise that there are endless possibilities when using this tool, I found that quite exciting and I look forward to working more in the future with Game-based learning and in particular when I have a class of my own.

We chose our outcomes to be:

• I can discuss the environmental impact of human activity and suggest ways in which we can live in a more environmentally way SOC 2-08a.
  • I can make suggestions as to how individuals and organisations may use technologies to support sustainability and reduce the impact on our environment TCH 2-07a.
  • I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations HWB 0-14a – 4-14a.
  • Having investigated where, why and how scale is used and expressed, I can apply my understanding to interpret simple models maps and plans MTH 2-17a.

We decided to focus todays task on second level children as we felt we had already focused a lot of previous tasks on early and first level children. The area of our focus today was Renewable energy and in particular building homes that make use of renewable energy on different Minecraft regions. This task covered four curricular areas, which are; Health and well-being, technologies, social studies and Numeracy. This task however could have covered more than just these curricular areas stated above and that’s what makes Minecraft a very good tool to use within the classroom.

As a group we did not have much previous experience with Minecraft, and we didn’t find the tool that easy to start with. As a group of mainly mature age students we slightly struggled in all honesty to even get started with using and building anything. On reflection of this I think moving forward we realise that whatever the tool or topic may be when teaching we need to make sure we have used and played about beforehand as we wasted a lot of time trying to get used to just the basics. As a teacher I believe it is important to know what your teaching and be prepared as children are not daft and the pick up on these things and you will be exploited.

Overall this task was a massive learning curve for me as I realise just how beneficial game-based learning is and the importance of making sure you are well prepared before taking a class especially when your using a tool such as Minecraft. This tool was fantastic at being able to cross curricular easily throughout a few or all curricular areas. Game-based learning is an important tool throughout education as children can achieve various outcomes and experiences for the curriculum for excellence, whilst feeling like they are playing a game that’s fun and engaging. I have particularly found this week’s task difficult as I did not fully understand how to use Minecraft. Therefore, I don’t think it was used to its full capability. I look forward to using Minecraft in my own free time to enhance my knowledge and experience to prepare me to become the best possible teacher I can be.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Learning-Teaching Scotland (2010) The Impact of Console Games in the classroom: Evidence from Schools in Scotland.