Society and Culture – Youth

Our lecture / tutorial today focused on society and culture and how these relate to ‘youth culture’. It gave me more of an insight into what society and culture mean. Culture is the traditions shared by members of a group that are reflected in their way of life. Whereas a society can range from a small to large group of people, these groups could be formal or informal and not everyone has to have the same views. We also discussed the term ‘youth’, what it meant and what a subculture was in relation to it. The term ‘youth’ can be described by ‘a particular stage of physical, emotional and social development’, it is the stage between being a child and an adult. Some examples of youth subcultures are punks, hippies and goths. It is a group from the wider society that is known from its cultural patterns.

Another key concept covered in the tutorial was the differences and commonalities between youths around the world. Some of the main commonalities that my group came up with was informal education (for example learning through play and adventure), puberty and friends (interactions with others their age). There are also many differences, some being formal education (schooling, not every youth across the world has the chance to go to school), human rights and responsibilities (the driving and drinking age and the minimum wage or right to work). Overall the thing I took away from this the most was that although many things are similar in youths around the world, there are even more differences in culture and society, these are evident across the globe.

We then moved onto talk about the theories of adolescence, some theorist being Piaget, Erikson, Maslow and Kohlberg. Piaget believes that children go through set stages at certain times in their lives, these focus of how children think and how they interact with the world around them. Likewise Kohlberg agrees with Piaget about moral development and that children go through set stages, he however does not attach these stages to age. He also believes that children go through a principled level at stage 5 and 6. However Erikson doesn’t believe in stages as such, he believes that during the transition from childhood to adulthood (12-18), youths climb steps in order for them to become an adult. Youths now start to look into the future in terms of relationships, housing and careers, he also believes that they are now trying to look for a society to fit into.

There was however one theory that I was struggling to comprehend, Maslows theory. During the lecture I feel like I knew the basics, I understood the triangle but I struggled to understand it in as much depth as the others. As I don’t feel as confident on this theorist I aim to look more into him before the exam so that I feel confident to write about each if need be in the exam. I will look at the recommended reading for this topic and I will visit the library if need be. I think this will help develop my understanding of not only Maslows theory but the rest too, so that I go into the exam feeling confident on this topic.

Before the exam I will also need to look further into the example case studies provided. I believe that reading these more in depth will aid my understanding of the topic as a whole.

I feel like what I have learned today will help me in the future to have a deeper understanding of the children in my classes. I think this will in turn make me a better teacher.

Overall I believe that what I have learned over the past few weeks have been very useful and interesting. Looking back on the last two weeks I can now see how everything fits together and I look forward to taking the information gained further in my career as a primary school teacher.

Ideology and Prejudice

In todays lecture and tutorial we focused on ideology and prejudice; what they mean and examples of each. From the lecture and tutorials I also got to know the five different agents of socialisation and how they influence us. The five being; media, family, peers, education and technology. Prior to todays lecture I wouldn’t have been abel to state the difference between ideology and prejudice,  I have now learned that prejudice is an attitude, that is usually negative, that involves pre-judgements or preconceived ideas. Where as ideology is an organised collection of ideas that reflects on someone believes and values of a group.

I feel like I did understand the main concepts discussed today. From the tutorial I am now able, as spoke about previously, to identify and talk about the impact of the five agents of socialisation. My group spoke about each and discussed how they influence us. We said that media impacts us as on social media often fake news circulates and people may get caught up in it. Social media also promotes the idea of a ‘perfect body’, this could effect how children view themselves and others which could in turn create conflict. Family may influence our ideology as believes and values are sent down and reenforced to the younger generation (Karl Mannheim – The Generation Theory) meaning that the children want to stick by what their family believe. Likewise with peers, children grow up surrounded by peer pressure and may start to adapt what their true feelings are to ‘fit in’ with their friends.

The only thing that I feel slightly unsure of is secularisation. When this was mentioned in one of the tutorials I asked my lecturer to provide a further explanation I also asked my peers to do the same. This gave me more of a clear understanding, however when I got home I did still have to look on the internet for examples. I feel like I do understand this a lot more now, although I will make sure I research this further before the exam.

I feel like what I have learned today will impact both my micro and macro world. In my miro world I will be abel to discuss with those around me what I have be told today and the effects that certain aspects can have on people. This will hopefully, in turn, make them more open and understanding to different ideas and believes. In my macro world I will be sure not to judge someone just because they are a celebrity. I will also make sure that I do not confirm to something that someone in my macro world may say, just because who they are.

I think one area that needs improvement is learning more about the theories and scholars. I understood the basics of what they believed to be true however I would not be able to write about a specific one in detail. For this I will be sure to visit the library a lot more to read up on each individual one so that I can further my understanding. I think that this was I will have confidence in all aspect of the topic ideology and prejudice so far.

Overall I think that everything spoke about today was very relevant to me. As I progress into becoming a teacher I will now be more conscious than ever that I do not show prejudice towards a child or allow it in the classroom. I will try my best not to be bias and allow every child from each different background the chance to explore different believes and values, not just their own. I have really enjoyed this input and I look forward for next week to widen my knowledge ideology and prejudice.

Mind, Body and Health

In this weeks lecture we focused on stress to start off with. We had to identify the things that made us stressed, if they were good or bad and how we could help prevent them. We discussed stress triggers such as job stress, daily hassles and age related stress (this being something I had never thought about before). We then spoke about our responses to stress. This is where I found out that I didn’t deal with stress very well, I just cry, although after going though the slides and hearing suggestions from others in my year, I have thought about more positive ways to deal with stress such as going a run or seeking social support. We also looked at mental health and how religion and spirituality could help this. Next we looked at how mental health affects physical health, having positive mental health means that the person feels;

• Sense of empowerment and personal control
  • Sense of connectedness
  • Sense of purpose and meaning
  • Hope

This then means that they use less health services, meaning less stress on the government. They also have positive recovery rates as they feel in control and  they know they can get better. Lastly we spoke about the importance of social support and why it is vital that people feel like they have someone to talk to, so that it doesn’t lead to being lonely and feeling excluded.

Holmes Rahe Inventory

In the tutorial we were asked to complete the Holmes Rahe Inventory to work out our stress levels and the affect this could have on our health. Shockingly I scored 265, this meant I feel into the category 150 to 300 points meaning a 50% chance of health breakdown in the next 2 years. I was very shocked to be placed in the category, and as far up in it. I do feel stressed at this time although not as much as it is suggesting and it is scary to this that this could mean I have a 50% chance of having health problems in the years to come.

I feel like one of the main things I get stressed about it work, uni work and my job. I need to work so I can earn money although working too much means I don’t have enough time for my studies. This does put a lot of stress on me and it is something I struggle to balance and cope with. I think I noticed this as I started having an increase in arguments with my friends and family, this is when I noticed that I had so much going on in my head that I was taking it out on other people.

I feel like to combat this I need to be more effective with my time management. I need to create a timetable of what I am going to study and when so I can fit my job around this (as my university work comes first). I also need to ensure I leave enough time in the week to get out of the house and do things, even if it is just going a drive with my friends I have released that this was part of the reason I was so stressed, because I was over working myself.

In the future I also aim to do more exercise when I am stressed. I would say I live a fairly active lifestyle although when I am stressed or feel overwhelmed I hope to make an effort to get out the house even if it is for a walk, as it is benefiting me in more ways than one. I will also trying listening to music to calm me down, this is something that I have never tried before so I hope to try this technique to see if it works for me.

Stress Hardiness Article

From reading this article in the tutorial I have a deeper understanding of the term ‘hardiness’ and its three components, control, commitment and challenge. I learnt that a ‘hardy’ individual is someone who tackles stress and takes on challenges for personal growth. This article highlighted how major life events can cause stress in certain people, it also discussed how several factors can have a negative effect on your health.

One factors discussed that can negatively impact your health is normative transitions. These are life events that are expected to happen, for example retirement and moving house. These types of events are likely to cause stress to the individual, however the impact doesn’t tend to be long-term or cause much damage.

Next non-normative transitions. These have more of a serious effect on peoples life. Non-normative events include a divorce or loss of job, they are unpredictable. The effects are long term and are things such as coronary heart disease and cancer. It causes high stress levels for anyone involved.

Loneliness is another factor that could negatively impact on health. As we previously learned being alone and being lonely are completely different. Being alone means being psychically alone, for example in a room, however someone could feel lonely even when surrounded with a room full of people. It is the feeling of not being able to speaking to anyone around you. This can cause major depression, promote unhealthy behaviours, such as drinking, and cause excessive reactions to stress. Feeling lonely also means that you are 4 times more likely to get sick. This in turn can effect your health majorly in the long run.

Another factor that can negatively impact your health is lack of human contact. From a hug to a high five to a pat on the back this allows emotion to be shown and for people to connect with others around them, basic human contact daily can have many benefits. Simply touching someone can decrease stress levels, lower blood pressure and reduce overall tension. Lack of this means they are not receiving the benefits that this brings which could intern effect there mental health in the future.

Social support is the last factor that I will talk about that can effect our health negatively. Having social support means that you have someone to talk to and you know is there for you when you need them. These people can include friends or family, colleagues at work, help lines / groups and professionals. Lack of social support in someones life could negatively impact them as they may start to experience higher stress levels, decreased life expectancy and feeling down about themselves. This may also mean that it takes them longer to recover as they don’t feel obliged to get better for someone else, it could also increase the need for medicine in some long term illnesses, thus negatively impacting their health.

However, from what I have learned today I now know of many different way to combat these problems and methods that could support a healthy lifestyle.

One being finding the right coping mechanisms for you. Some include getting enough sleep, managing your time and keeping a stress diary. The next is physical fitness, exercising is a good way of releasing stress and getting fit and healthy at the same time. Exercising releases happy endorphins making you feel more positive about yourself. Social support from family and friends is another way that could help support a healthy lifestyle. Knowing you have someone to talk to and help you through your problems makes you feel safe which should in turn make you worry less. Religion could also help. Researching and attending church is a good way of keeping a healthy lifestyle, it means you are less likely to take part in risky behaviours and it gives you a senses of personal control and connectedness. A last way that could help support a healthy lifestyle is through learning to be optimistic. Being optimistic means you believe in yourself, you realise and make small changes, set goals and stay flexible. This means you look on the positive side of things and overall you believe in your self which in turn should decrease the chance of stress and support a healthy lifestyle.

At Risk Behaviours and Society

images

During this weeks lecture and tutorials we spoke about at risk behaviour within the society, the main six being;

1. Injuries
  2. Tobacco
  3. Alcohol
  4. Sexual Behaviour
  5. Dietary Patterns
  6. Lack of Physical Activity

We spoke about the affect that these behaviour have on the society and on your lifestyle. We also looked at the four levels of influence and how they linked to these behaviours; individual/family, school/peers, community, policy/society. Our main points of focus were on ‘The Glasgow Effect’ and ‘To what extent are Scottish people healthy?’, this blog will discuss the two further.

‘The Glasgow Effect’

The Glasgow Effect focuses on investagating why equally deprived UK areas experience different health outcomes. It focuses on comparing factors such as income, health and mortality rates. Briefly The Glasgow Effect states that people living in Glasgow tend to die younger and have poorer health than other place such as Manchester and Liverpool who are equally as deprived.

One reason that the researched thought people in Glasgow were dying so young was due to income. The mortality rate for under 65 year olds in Glasgow was almost 30% higher than the two comparing cities. However after the research was completed they found that the cities being studied  were in fact equally deprived in terms of income, with just over 20% of the population in Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool being classed as ‘income deprived’. Thus proving that low income is not the only reason for such a peak in mortality rates in Glasgow.

A second factor investigated in the Glasgow Effect is the lack of physical and healthy lifestyle. In Glasgow alcohol related death are 19.5% higher than Manchester and Liverpool and drug related deaths are 8% higher. This has an ongoing effect, not only for the adults but for the children that are growing up witnessing this and thinking that it is acceptable behaviour to binge drink and take drugs. This does at stated cause a large number of deaths each year and I feel like this has a snowball effect on the younger generations.

In conclusion it appears that there is no definite reason as to why people in Glasgow have this problem surrounding them, there are however many reasons and factors that are suggested – most of which could be rectified.

‘To what extent are Scottish people healthy?’

‘The Sick Man of Europe’, Scotland  have unfortunately managed to be tagged with this title. We are notoriously known for binge drinking, smoking and eating deep fried mars bars, and perhaps this is why. Personally I think it is unfair to categorise everyone living here at ‘unhealthy’, although there are many arguments to suggest otherwise.

Linking with this stereotype of what Scottish people eat and drink two thirds of us are overweight or obese. The number of men that are gaining significant weight has risen by 9% since 2003 and with women rising by 13% it would be fair to say that compared to other countries we do have more of a problem with obesity. The NHS Scotland are annually spending roughly £600 million to treat overweight of obese people. However for a number of years now schools around Scotland have started getting the children to run a ‘daily mile’. At any time in the school day children will be asked to put down their pencils and run a mile around the school grounds. I witnessed this on a recent placement I was on and the children reacted very well to it, I would even go as far to say that they enjoyed it. I think this is a great way of making sure that children are getting enough daily exercise, I also think this will encourage them to continue staying active outside school and into their adult life.

On the up side we have managed slowly but surely beat the smoking habits with the introduction of  ‘vaping’ and electronic cigarettes. Now 21% of adults smoke in comparison to 28% of adults in 2003. In turn this is decreasing the number of children that are exposed to second hand smoke. This may be due to a law being introduced in 2015 making it illegal for an adults to smoke in a car with a child under the age of 18. From 10% in 2014 to 6% in 2016, this is a step in the right direction for improving the health of children and adults across Scotland. This is one of the reasons as to why I think it is unfair to name everyone in Scotland as being unhealthy, as 79% of adults do not smoke.

Overall I think that compared to other countries Scotland’s health statistics are as a whole lower, although, after research, when asked ‘To what extent are Scottish people healthy?’ I would say that it depends on individual people and factors not just based on the country as a whole.

Inclusion and Equality – Focus on Disability

unknown

Overall from todays lecture and tutorials I have learned how important it is to make sure that people with disabilities, physical or not, are getting equal opportunities. This session highlighted how far disabled people have come in their fight to be treated the same as everyone else. In ancient times disabled people were often killed or sent to homes or other institutes as they were ‘different’ to the others around them. This thankfully has evolved, although not as much as some may hope. Some places around the world still don’t offer lifts or ramps for people in wheelchairs meaning they are not getting the same opportunities as those that can walk. Another thing that I found very interesting, and another main concept that was covered today, was that not everyone is born with a disability, it can be acquired over time, which I think is important for everyone to understand.

At first when the universal design was brought up I was struggling to comprehend how it would work or look. After looking it up on the internet and asking my peers and lecturer about this topic I grew a further understanding of how it would work. I also looked online to find some pictures of the universal design being used on some buildings. This helped me to comprehend it and understand it further.

A definite skill that will need to be improved for the exam and for the future is my language that I use when discussing the topic disability. I feel like I need to do more research and reading on the appropriate langue to use while talking about this topic to ensure I do not offend anyone. I think especially when I become a teacher this is something I will need to keep in mind as, “at least 15 per cent of the world’s people have a significant, long-term, physical or mental impairment that can and usually does disable them from taking part in the usual educational” (Rieser, 2012, p. 159), and so this is a rising problem that I am sure to encounter in my future career.

I feel like overall I understood everything very well as I was engaged and interested in what we were learning. As I previously said this is a very relevant topic that everyone should be aware of, and especially in schools I think children should be taught this from a young age to help there understanding of the term and to make them treat everyone in their class and community equally.

Inclusion and Equality

unknown-5

From this lecture the main concepts that I learned was exactly what inclusion and equality mean. Previous to this input I would have said that the two terms meant the same thing, although after today I have released that while they were closely linked they have two separate meanings. I have also widened my knowledge on the Equality Act. I had learnt about this in school although it was good to refresh my memory and discuss the importance of it. Another thing that I found very interesting was the Allport’s scale of prejudice and discrimination. I feel like I really understood all the different stages, such as  Antilocution and Extermination, and it something that I will continue to look into in the future.

I feel like I have understood all of the main concepts discussed today, however I feel further reading is required on topics such as the PCS analysis, to widen my understanding in order for me to be able to put it into practice in the future. I will visit the library and look for online articles that explain this in more depth.

I feel like my skills have been developed as I have been exposed to langue that I may not have necessarily used, this should improve and benefit me in the way I write in the exam.

I feel like overall this topic was very interesting and I learnt a lot that I hope to use in the future. I think that clarification of what is expected of me from next weeks lecture will put me more at ease. I think that this was all very relevant to the 21st century (equality) and with further background reading I hope to widen my knowledge in all areas discussed today so that I can apply it in years to come.

Religion, Culture and ‘Unchurched’ Spirituality

images

In brief, from the lecture and tutorial the main thing I took away from it was how religion influences culture and vice-versa. It was interesting for me to see how two scholars can have such a polar opposite opinion from each other. Max Webber believed that religion was an agent of social change, in short he thought that everyone should believe in religion and that it was essential for culture. However Karl Marx believed that religion caused social problems and that religious people were ‘deluded’. This was interesting for me to learn as this was not something I had ever thought about. I also gained more of an insight into spiritualism and the phrase ‘unchurched spirituality’. I learned some characteristics of unchurched spirituality such as; autonomy and individualism, and I was also made aware of possible criticisms.

I feel like I do understand the main concepts spoke about today, however I was more confused than last week. Last week I understood everything a lot more and this week as I feel like there was more concepts and new terms to understand. I understand spirituality and as I had a real interest in learning about this I feel like I have grasped the idea of it more than the other topics discussed. For example I need to do more work and background reading on the impact of religion and culture. I understand the basics of the topic although a lot more work is needed, in particular reading up on the scholars discussed (Matt Waggoner (2001)) will help my understanding grow.

From last week I knew that religion could impact social problems positively, today this was made more clear to me and we looked at them more in depth. This has increased my prior knowledge of this topic and I know feel confident that this is something I know well.

Overall as I said previously to this post I do need to work more and continue to learn about the topics that we have discussed. I will do this by visiting the library, using online resources and visiting or emailing my lecture if any problems arise. I have truly enjoyed learning about religion and society as it is not something that I had a lot of knowledge in. I will continue to use information learnt from this module in my future career as a teaching in the hope that the children will have a greater insight and understanding of religion in the modern day world.

Religion, Society and Diversity

unknown

In brief, the lecture and workshop on religion, society and diversity gave me a real insight into the many different aspects of religion in the twenty first century. I learned that each person may have a different deffinition of what they think the term ‘religion’ means, for example a sociologist interrupts the term as meaning something different to a historian. I was also made aware of the three different types of religion as a social institution. Previous to today it never crossed my mind that religion could be categorised as it is, one type being an established religion, the next being a sect and the last type of religion being a cult. Todays lecture gave me true clarification about how broad of a topic religion is in society today and how diversity can affect a community in more way than one.

One of the main concepts that I took from todays lecture is that although there are a vast number of religions in the world today, they all link and have similarities in some ways. Ninian Smart (1927-2001) investigated the common features of different religions and compared them showing that they are all have more similarities than we may initially think. With this evidence and many more I feel that I did truly understand the majority of information given to me to a high enough level. I became aware of the importance of referring to scholars through my work and I aim to improve this for future pieces of writing.

At first I struggled to understand the functions of religion, in particular the latent and manifest. Through further online research when returning home I feel that I am more confident in the topic than I was initially was however I still feel that more work will be needed for me to understand this concept fully. I will visit the library on campus to hope that further reading into the topic will encourage me and engage me more, enabling me to understand and apply this knowledge in the future.

Previous to today I only studied religious and moral education to a low level. I was taught briefly about large religions but nothing to the extent that I believe children should be taught at. I was able to look more in-depth into the importance and negative impacts religious diversity in a community. I was also made more aware of the ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ view of religion, this really opened my eyes to see the different points of view between two or more people. This topic in particular is something that I hope to look further into, in order for me to see various religions from a different point of view.

An area that I feel definitely needs improvement is my knowledge of the scholars mentioned in the lecture. I feel like I have a brief idea of the main concepts they believe in, although I am aware that I will need to allocate a lot more time in order for me to apply their thinking to a piece of work. To achieve this I aim to spend more time in the library looking for books regarding this topic, this will improve my understanding allowing me to link scholars to different concepts.

Though what I have learned today I am able to make a clearer link between how religion affects on society and lifestyle. I think that by the end of this block this link will become clearer although I could confidently make at least one or two strong links.

I aspire to teach the children in my future class about the importance of religion, society and diversity. I feel that more emphasis is needed on this topic rather than children mainly focusing on Christianity throughout school. I am already excited about all the opportunities that this topic could offer me as I progress to become a primary school teacher. This lecture and workshop has really gave me an insight into religion, society and diversity, and it has made me want to research and learn more.

Reflections on Placement

reflection

Placement was a time for me to get a real insight into every small step that goes into teaching a child. It clarified to me that this is something that I am very passionate about pursuing. Although not all aspects of my placement were positive I learned a lot and it was a great experience. While on placement for the short week many aspects of the ongoings in the school shocked me, this made the experience more realistic and beneficial to me.

Strength  

A strength that became apparent to me whilst on placement is my enthusiasm in the classroom. When I was telling a story or explaining a question it was noted that I was enthusiastic, I used facial expressions and tone. I think this made the children feel involved and more interested in the story. Once I was made aware that the class teacher had picked up on this it made me feel more confident and it encouraged me to continue doing this.

Area of Most Progress 

During my first few days on placement I identified that I was not leaving enough time for the children to answer a question or recognise a word. After I noticed that the pupils were able to give an answer, whether it be right or wrong, when I paused for longer after asking a question I was pleasantly surprised. I felt that previously I had waited too long for a response, therefore once this was apparent I adapted and made a conscious effort to give them all the time they needed. This made a huge difference and more of the children were able to put their hands up and participate making the question time more beneficial for both them and me.

Area Requiring Progress

One area in particular that I (and my mentoring teacher) feel requires the most work is my pace when talking to the children. It was noticed that while I was interacting with the pupils I often spoke to fast for them to process and understanding the information. This lead to confusion at times amongst the children, and it meant that I had to repeat myself on occasion.

Another area that I need to work on is my word choice when explaining questions or stating information to children. After trial and error I noted that some statements, such as ‘subtraction’, caused confusion between the pupils and so I had to simplify it for the them.

Action Plan 

In the future I aim to slow down my pace when talking to children purely through practice. By videoing myself speaking, I will be able to watch it back and point out where I need to slow down. By making this conscious effort  hopefully it will become habit and I will constantly start to speak slower so that the children understand.

Also through practice I will start to use more ‘child friendly’ terms in the classroom. This in turn will mean that the lesson will be more effective and the children all get more out of it. I understand that the stage the class are at will depend on the language that I could use, however in future I will aim to identify this and plan ahead the appropriate terms to use before entering the classroom.