MA1 Placement Goals

SPR 1.3 – Trust and Respect

• Is able to recognise the need to know the children well enough to respond to their individual needs.

I have chosen this goal because it is so important to build positive relationships with your pupils.  These relationships should involve trust and respect between the teacher and the pupils and should create a learning environment where they will enjoy learning and feel safe and involved. The ability to identify the learning needs of each pupil is essential as it means that I can differentiate my lessons for each individual to allow them to succeed and progress at a level that they can understand. By building these relationships, the pupils will become more engaged when I am teaching and more motivated in the activities that I give them. By being consistent in how I act and by being understanding and helpful towards their needs, I can work towards achieving this goal.

SPR 3.3 – Pupil Assessment

• Use assessment, recording and reporting as an integral part of the teaching process to support and enhance learning.

I have chosen this goal because assessment is a vital part of the learning process. Using formative assessment throughout your lessons helps to check for understanding, to allow the pupils to assess themselves and their peers and helps them to decide on their next steps themselves and well as discussing them with the teacher. It allows you to track the progress of each pupil which gives you a clear idea of how they are finding the work and whether they are understanding it. This helps the teacher to identify any pupils who may need more support in certain areas or may need to be more challenged if they are finding it too easy.

The use of formative assessment will help me to establish a trusting relationship with pupils as they will see the I am someone who is helping them improve in their learning. I will do this by engaging with a range of assessment techniques and find out which work best with my class.