Resources Task- The Value of Equality

During our most recent values seminar, we were divided into five groups. We were then given resources, such as paper, coloured pens and paperclips, in which we had to use to complete a creative task. I was in group three and found that as soon as we were given our resources, we were aware that we had less than some of the other groups. This immediately sparked outrage amongst our group, finding our three pens and two sheets of paper much less satisfactory than group one, who had numerous pens and multiple sheets of paper.

Because of our discontent with the resources, this set us back significantly in planning and preparation time. As an individual, I found the situation extremely unjust and could not understand why groups one and two were awarded with more resources when there were no other significant differences between the groups. Due to the fact that we had less resources, we were unable to do as well in the task and this was reflected in the score which we were given (a 4/10). This score knocked my own confidence in the task and caused tension within our group. We found this score to be profoundly unfair, particularly as we had to work much harder to achieve an adequate outcome.

However, our group did not have the least number of resources. Since the very beginning of the task, we were too focused on those who has more than us; we did not realise that some groups had even less. As an individual, I was too focused on the injustice of our situation and how unfair I felt that we were being treated, that I failed to realise that groups four and five were being treated even less fairly. I was too consumed with resentment about how we were supposed to use only two sheets of paper to realise that group five did not even have one sheet.

On reflection, our group could have collaborated and shared our resources with the rest of the groups. This would have meant that everyone, from groups one to group five, would have had the same amount of resources and would have had an equal chance at creating a successful product. Instead of focusing on how little we believed we were given, we should have been more open to the idea of sharing our resources and working as a whole group to ensure that everyone had enough to work with.

The purpose of this particular values seminar was to highlight the need for equality. This means that any individual, no matter their background or current situation should be given the chance to achieve their best. This translates well into the teaching profession as it emphasises the fact that all children deserve to achieve and succeed in all that they do. We must take care in making sure that all children feel that they are being treated equally, giving them the same tools and resources in which they can achieve their potential. From my own personal experience of the resource task, I found that I had a lack of confidence when it came to the presentation of our idea and this was largely due to the fact that we were at a disadvantage for having less than others. This is often a reality for those individuals who have less resources such as money.

Our job within professions such as teaching, social work and CLD is to ensure the fair treatment of all children and young people without judgment or bias, breaking down the barrier that is caused by the amount of money a child has, their social class or their background. This task suggests that some children need more help than others and this should not be ignored. A child should always have the opportunity to thrive and develop and feel that they have as much of a chance as any other child to achieve their best, using a fair allocation of resources that benefits everyone.