Expressive Arts and Culture Week 4

This week in Expressive Arts and Culture we were located in the music studio to allow us to explore different types of instruments. The focus of this week’s workshop was graphic soundscapes.

We were firstly introduced to a graphic soundscape and how they are used. It describes an image being represented by a sound or instrument on a grid. The images are represented in a table and are followed from left to right. The table is followed to create a piece of music by following the images and playing the instruments or sounds that each image represents. The class were able to participate in an example of a graphic soundscape and the song we used as background music was “Firework” by Katy Perry. Due to the background music, we selected instruments and sounds that we felt tied in well with the music selected. For example, we used instruments to create different sound effects for bangs and sounds that you are most likely to hear during a firework display. This was our graphic soundscape that we followed for our example as a whole class.

Following on from this, we separated into smaller groups to create our own graphic soundscape. My group and I decided to create a graphic soundscape that related to a tropical rainforest. We had the opportunity to select the instruments that we wished to use to create our own rainforest and work together to create our own graphic soundscape to follow. Every group had around half an hour to create their pieces and we all had the opportunity to perform this to the rest of the class.

This activity was extremely enjoyable and it allowed us all to work in teams. We also had the chance to perform in front of the class. This activity allowed music to be integrated with visual arts to create a key and images to follow through a graphic soundscape. I would encourage that others use an activity similar to this for enjoyment and learning and I will be sure to take this experience into my teaching practice. An experience and outcome that relates to the activities carried out during today’s workshop is as follows:

Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed on 7th February 2019]