Expressive Arts and Culture Week 2

During this week’s Expressive Arts and Culture workshop, we continued to explore the theme of evocative objects. However, this week we were focusing on music.

Our task this week was to find a piece of already existing music that we felt related to our evocative object, or to create our own short piece of music using GarageBand or a similar application to relate to our evocative object.

I decided to select two songs that I felt related to my evocative object. The first song that I chose was “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele. I selected this song because it is one of my mum’s favourite songs and I therefore think of her whenever I hear it. I also love this particular song because it has a lot of emotion behind it. I can relate this to my evocative object because it brings a lot of emotion out in me when I am wearing my necklace or when I think back to receiving it on my birthday. The second song that I decided to select is “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls. This is one of my favourite songs and it also reminds me a lot of my childhood when I hear it because my dad would listen to it often. This song reminds me of my dad and all of the amazing memories we have made together as a family. This relates to my evocative object because we are a strong family unit and my necklace represents that. Fleming, M. (2012) describes the importance of music being used in classes through looking at different feelings and emotions that is portrayed in different pieces of music. This would encourage children and young people to talk about their feelings more openly. I extremely enjoyed this task during today’s workshop and I would love to try this throughout my teaching practice. I will encourage my learner’s to create their own short piece of music to describe their feelings to evaluate the effectiveness of this activity.

• Fleming, M. (2012). The Arts in Education: An introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. London: Routledge.