Integrated Arts in Education Week 10

The week’s lecture was based on creative dance. Firstly, we were presented with a short video clip on a creative dance project that was carried out in a school. The project aimed to encourage young learners to participate in creative dance. Zara explained that at the start of the project majority of the children had little confidence around the subject of creative dance. However, at the end of the project, all learners were engaged and interested in creative dance. The Curriculum for Excellence emphasies the importance for creative dance as it bellieves“children should have the opportunity to create, present, appreciate and evaluate dance” (CfE, 2018).

Our creative dance workshop began by gathering into our small groups from the previous week and going over the dance which we had created. We were asked to design a picture of the first thing we thought of when the word “Christmas” was said. Myself and my group decided to draw a Christmas tree, which we then swapped with another group. Once we had swapped our pictures, we were asked to create a dance move which related to the picture we had been given. All of the pictures were then collected and we combined all of our dance moves to create the start of our Christmas dance. An experience and outcome that relates to this activity is as follows:

I enjoy creating short dance sequences, using travel, turn, jump, gesture, pause and, fall, within safe practice. EXA 1-08a (Scottish Government, 2018).

During our drama workshop, we carried out our micro-teaching performances. This involved us working in small groups to create a drama lesson and present it to our peers. My group and I decided to plan a lesson based upon vikings. During our micro-teaching, we included several drama conventions including hot seating and role-playing. We used hot seating which involved one person took questions around the subject of vikings from the rest of the cohort. Role playing was incorporated by allowing a peer out-with our group to reenact a scene involving vikings. An experience and outcome that myself and my group  selected that related to this activity is as follows:

I enjoy creating, choosing and accepting roles, using movement, expression and voice. EXA 1-12a (Scottish Government, 2018).

Curriculum for Excellence (2018) Expressive Arts: Principles and Practice [Online] Available from: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-pp.pdf [Accessed: 6 December 2018].

Scottish Government (2018) Experiences and Outcomes[Online] Available from: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed: 6 December 2018].