Why Teaching

They say those who can’t do teach, but I can’t think of anything else I would rather do.

The moment I knew I wanted to pursue a career in Primary teaching was in January of my lower sixth year in secondary school when I went to a local primary school for work experience. I wasn’t completely sure what career path I wanted to go down but I have always thought that I would enjoy teaching in a primary school as I’ve always enjoyed working with children.

After the first five minutes of being in the classroom I knew that teaching was what I wanted to do. The enthusiasm that children have to learn is incredible and every day was just so different. The feeling I got when a pupil finally understood something was wonderful. I enjoyed it so much I just kept going back for more and more experience whenever I could. Seeing how much in only a few months a child’s, writing and numeracy skills improved was amazing. Every time I left I couldn’t help but think that I wanted to be the one standing in front of a classroom shaping the minds of tomorrow.

Another major factor in why I want to be a teacher is that throughout my years of school I have had some amazing and unforgettable teachers that have inspired me and made learning exciting. I want to be like that, I want to be the reason a child can’t wait to go to school, I want to be an inspiration to a whole classroom and watch them succeed.

I still haven’t quite got my head around the fact that I am actually studying at the University of Dundee and that in only a few short years my dream will finally be a reality. It would be a lie to say I wasn’t slightly terrified, but I am also so excited to begin this new journey to become a great teacher.

photo