Is that on the SCQF?: Digiknow? Champion Award

Young Scot is the national youth information and citizenship charity for 11-26 year olds in Scotland. We provide young people with high quality information, opportunities and experiences. We recently launched DigiKnow? Champions Award, in partnership with Glasgow Kelvin College to help young people build the skills and knowledge needed to be protected from online threats.

The Award has been designed for young people, by young people, with our DigiKnow? Steering Group supporting on design and development.

WHAT DOES THE AWARD INVOLVE?

It offers the opportunity to learn in an engaging and interactive way about a variety of cyber and digital topics.

The Award covers six topic areas relating to young people’s cyber resilience and online lives:

• practical cyber resilience

• digital footprint

• health and wellbeing online

• online rights

• career and learning opportunities

• peer learning

WHO IS IT FOR?

No previous qualifications or experience is required. This opportunity is open to all young people, no matter their current education or employment status. It is open to learners from a variety of learning backgrounds – with a goal to support those who may be particularly vulnerable to online threats or facing barriers to their learning.

THE BENEFITS

The Award sits on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework at Level 4, with 4 credit points attached (40 notional learning hours). The Award is split into 2 Units, and young people will gain an SCQF Level 4 qualification on completion of each of these units.

Although the learning is online and self-guided, young people are supported by Young Scot staff, Glasgow Kelvin College staff and a local trained ambassador to give them the tools needed to learn and develop.

“I was intrigued when I heard about the opportunity through Young Scot and I’m so glad that I decided to take part. The award has helped me to further better my understanding of how to stay safe online and about what your digital footprint is. I also learnt how to share information, learning how to present via Zoom, blog and make a video. My favourite part is the flexibility you get when taking part in the award!” Poppy, 14

For more information about the Award and to register an interest visit https://young.scot/get-involved/national/digiknow-champions-award or get in touch with digiknow@young.scot.

Share this Post