Interdependence – Weeks 5/6

Interdependence was never a topic I understood and therefore never took interest in. Whether it was being taught in geography or biology I never fully comprehended it. However, having now looked at the topic in a more practical environment, I am now beginning to understand and enjoy the topic. Interdependence is the dependence of two or more people or things on each other.

For the first input (13/10/2017), we visited two very different farms in Ayrshire. First, we visited Mossgiel Farm in Mauchline to learn about farmer Bryce Cunninghams approach to a more sustainable future. Mossgiel has been adapted, allowing them to produce and sell their own milk. This farm was what you can expect; very traditional. The cows were kept in a barn (due to the weather conditions) and were able to eat and move freely. The calves had been separated from their mothers but the youngest ones were kept close so they could still interact with their mothers. They were milked and fed routinely.

The second farm we visited was Strandhead Farm in Tarbolton. This farm was in complete contrast to Mossgiel as it has been completely modernised and is equipped with robots which make up the cow feed, deliver it and milk the cows. At this farm there is no routine as the cows are milked whenever they want. In my opinion, I preferred Mossgiel Farm as it was more organic and environmentally friendly but perhaps technology farms are the future?

Taking children to these farms and allowing them to see first-hand the different farms operate is a good way to introduce children to the topic of interdependence as it can be a difficult topic to teach. At the second farm we met by Elaine, a representative from the Royal Highland Education Trust (RHET). RHET can provide support and resources on Farm Visits, Classroom Speakers, Projects or Events and can cater for all stages of both primary and secondary school. Outdoor learning can be highly beneficial and engaging and hearing for professionals can also give children an in depth knowledge.

For our second input (20/10/2017), in groups we were to create an infographic on sustainable seas with reference to Biodiversity, Economy and Industry, Community Impact and Political elements. This was a good way to discuss our opinions and consolidate our own learning. This would also be a good and engaging way for the pupils to display their knowledge on the topic and learn for each other.

The skills I gained or developed throughout this topic were:

• Independent learning
  • listening & discussion skills
  • outdoor learning
  • critical thinking skills
  • research skills
  • group skills
  • technology skills (Padlet)

Through these skills I have been able to consolidate and make sense of my learning and previous knowledge. These skills will also be useful in the classroom as my confidence in this topic has increased. However the resources from Royal Highland Education Trust (RHET) will also be extremely useful. I will be able to encourage children to discuss and critically analyse information they have collected. Through my group skills and outdoor learning with my peers, I feel more comfortable discussing and sharing ideas which can be transferred into the classroom. finally, the use of an infographic was highly beneficial as it would be with children so that they are able to make sense of their knowledge and opinions through a clear presentation of the information gathered.