CAPE Abbeyhill: Safe and Happy Community

During our Community Ambassadors session today we looked at and discussed our Community – the place where we live, play and belong.

Using large treasure maps to represent our Community we thought about the fun places – the safe places – the unsafe places in our Community and we drew them on our maps.  We put happy – unhappy – neutral face stickers on our maps to represent the safe – unsafe places and those spaces which could be better.

Have a look at some of our maps and let us know what you think.  Why are some parks only safe during the day? Our home, the place we grew up is special to us, can you think why?

Comments and views;

“We want the police in our Community”

“We want less police with weapons”

“Playing basketball with a team in my community makes me feel like I belong here”

“Sometimes Montgomery Park is dodgy”

“I feel safe in my house”

“Easter Road on match day can feel crazy”

“I like Holyrood Park because I go there with my family”

“I don’t always feel safe when I visit my auntie” (lives in a different area)

“Friends are really important to us in our community” (friends who live nearby)

“Shopkeepers aren’t always friendly. They have signs saying only two children allowed. I was accused of stealing by a stall keeper for picking something up to look at. The stall was selling kids stuff”

Drawings on treasure map;

Fun school – Museum – Tennis Courts – Pump Track – Racing Track

Our question for adults is “What can you do to make our communities safe and happy place for us to grow up?”