Week 11

Music

“Music has a power of forming the character and should therefore be introduced into the education of the young”(DfE, 2011).

In this final session of the Integrated Arts module, the lecturer made it Christmassy and fun. We firstly discussed a few technical music terms and looked again at music notes and vocabulary before allowing us to use the instruments. I liked the fact that we got to choose which instrument to play, and I feel that children would like this too as it gives them a say and lets them choose which kind of instrument that they would like to try.

I chose the keyboard firstly as I find it a very enjoyable instrument to play. We played along to ‘Last Christmas’ as a class which was festive and enjoyable. I then switched instruments and played guitar, as I play guitar at home. Playing the tune altogether as a class tested our timing and teamwork and I feel that it gave us something to be proud of at the end.

Department for Education (2011) The Importance of Music- A National Plan for Music Education. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/180973/DFE-00086-2011.pdf (Accessed: 7 January 2017).