Expressive Arts and Culture- Week 5

This week we looked at an interview with Patricia Leavy focussing on Arts-based research. She is highly accomplished in her fields so it was extremely helpful hearing her perspective on the various topics she was questioned on.

Arts-based research takes place where art is used as a model for analysis and recording information. As Leavy says, it is globally practised but not known to as many as more instrumental research methods. She spoke on her experiences of working with people across the world on certain projects; and the benefits of being able to use modern technologies such as zoom and email.

Considering how I could use this information in my teaching is tricky. I can perhaps see arts-based research being introduced to older year groups, however, I cannot see it being successful in early years or middle primary. I think older children would appreciate the internationally of it, perhaps asking them to research something from different countries or asking guest speakers to help through zoom. Additionally, upper primary are more likely to understand the concept once it is explained to them and follow a brief to meet outcomes.

Art in Education @ UWS (2018). Patricia Leavy on Arts-Based Research PART 1. [online] Vimeo. Available at: https://vimeo.com/255101098 [Accessed 28 May 2021].