Expressive Arts and Culture- Week 2

This week, the focus of the lecture was on behaviour management for expressive subjects.

The idea of behaviour management in the classroom when considering expressive subjects, I must admit, does seem intimidating. I can recall many exciting lessons in primary school where the teacher may have just lost control of the class and we all had a stern telling-off. Looking forward as a future teacher, shouting and disciplining the class is something I want to avoid. Especially in order to build a safe space for the expression of creativity.

Thinking more recently, I was drawn back to last years placement where I observed and took part in a bi-weekly music class. The classes the primary 2 pupils attended were structured and consistent. For them, this meant they knew what to expect coming into the class and understood how to behave and how to take part. For the teacher, the predetermined routine meant that children could be quickly calmed at the start of the lesson and very little behaviour management had to be implemented. A particularly effective tool the teacher used was his “top-banana” stickers given to 3 pupils at the end of each lesson for participation and engagement. The class teacher supported his reward system by allowing “top-bananas” to move their peg up on the behaviour chart.

The idea of a silly and fun reward really emphasises the idea that learning is fun (Cowley, 2014, p. 180). Moving forward to encourage good behaviour, I will be brainstorming some unusual and creative reward systems that can be used across the curriculum. Cowley further discusses the benefits of surprising the class and how to get their attention in a variety of unusual ways. One particular technique I have seen put to practice is pretending to eat a can of dog food (or baked beans with the label covered) to grab the attention of the room.

S. Cowley. (2014). Getting the Buggers to Behave. Bloomsbury