Art – 11/10/16

artist-in-child_2

In today’s society, especially within the classroom, it is essential to use stimulus for inspiration, for creativity and to ensure a child-centred approach.

The challenge that teachers face nowadays, is that children are more interested in the content contained in their phones instead of their surroundings. It is crucially important that when teaching children art, we use a living artist, as well as known artists from centuries before, as a stimulus to ensure that the teaching points are relevant to the children. This aspect is important as the Curriculum for Excellence ensures that every teaching point is relatable to the children and leave a meaningful experience.

‘the underlying assumption is that all works of art can be approached from each of the following four perspectives: Form; Content; Process; Mood.’ (Rod Taylor)

Having received information on the importance of using a stimulus while teaching art, we then proceeded to create our own expression of an image that was only verbally described to us.  Using the Rod Taylor model of assessment allowed us to evaluate the artwork, not just on first appearances, but consider aspects such as process and mood together with the ability to engage the imagination in order to explore new prospects (Eisner, 2002).

I believe that children will find this particular activity engaging and will help them to develop their own creativity. By having the children complete a practical task such as this, it is an efficient method of teaching art. As stated by Abrahams and Millar (2009): “many say that they believe it leads to better learning: we are more likely to understand and remember things we have done than things we have just been told.”

Below are some pictures that were taken during myself and fellow students undertaking this task. As you can see, we were not allowed ‘typical’ paint brushes, instead, we used hand-made ones from sticks, cotton wool, thread and many other objects used to convey the different textures that can be created using various drawing instruments. This aspect also adhered to every person’s painting being unique.

This was the paint brush I used to create my painting. It was created by wrapping felt around a stick and securing it with a piece of thread.

The piece of paper which I used as a mixing station in order to create a variety of colours.

The beginning
The beginning
This was my final product.
This was my final product.

This is an image of a fellow student's painting. As you can see, having received the same description the outcome and final image is very different as we used our own creativity and imagination.
This is an image of a fellow student’s painting. As you can see, having received the same description the outcome and final image is very different as we used our own creativity and imagination.

• http://formcontentprocessmood.weebly.com/
  • Abrahams, I. and Millar, R. (2009) Practical work: Making it more effective. [Online] Available: http://www.gettingpractical.org.uk/documents/RobinSSR.pdf [Accessed: 31 December 2016].
  • Eisner, E. W. (2002) The Arts and the Creation of Mind. London: Yale University Press.