National Coming Out Day.

With yesterday being National Coming Out Day, now seems a better time than ever to discuss my story.

Here goes…

I’m straight.

From a young age, I did not feel like there was something very different about how I acted or who I liked. I was not worried about sharing who I really was for fear of being judged. I did not feel shame or guilt for how I felt and who I was.

This is an aspect of my life that does not define me as a person. I am more than my sexual identity.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Why am I making a blog post about this? Surely I know that I don’t need to come out if I’m straight? I should be proud of who I am.

This is my point. If I don’t need to go through the fear of coming out, why should anyone else? Everyone should be proud of who they are. Differences are what make us special and it frustrates me that injustices such as this still exist in society today. If no one will judge me for who I want to love, then why do so many people still have such negative opinions in regards to who other people love?

Don’t get me wrong, National Coming Out day is such a positive thing in terms of LGBTQ+ awareness. But why, in this day and age, do people still need to ‘come out’ as if they are sharing something shameful? Why does society accept me by the simple fact that I am a cis white heterosexual, whereas my friends who are Bi, Gay or Trans have to suffer with feelings of oppression and judgement? Why do they often feel like they need to hide who they really are? Each and every one of them are amazing people who are not defined by their sexual identity. Why do we live in a society where minorities such as these are often oppressed instead of celebrated?

Every member of the LGBTQ+ community has felt fear of not being accepted at some point in their life. I really believe that as teachers, we will have a real responsibility to promote equality to our classes from a young age. I aim to strive towards the promotion of individuality. It is our job as future teachers, to ensure that we raise awareness of everyone’s differences in a positive light. Not just to eradicate homophobia alone, but to make each and every pupil in that class feel valued. It is simple things such as multi-racial dolls, to books with same-sex couples and characters who challenge gender stereotypes. Nothing negative would come from this. It would simply encourage the next generation to be more accepting of each other and encourage them to express who they are and be proud of their identity.

The importance of addressing differences in a positive way is vital in order to shape open-minded adults of the future. Differing views and opinions are often very healthy. Different appearances, backgrounds and personalities are what make us unique. I believe that encouraging each child to be proud of their individual charisma and talents will encourage nerve and resilience in later life.

Quoting my previous blog post, I really want to reiterate this important message:

“By acknowledging and promoting the fact that everyone is different; everyone in turn, will become equal.”

2 thoughts on “National Coming Out Day.

1. Chelle

Hi! So this answer went off on a bit of a tangent…

I love what you’re trying to do, and absolutely agree that there shouldn’t be a need to come out. I’m gay, and only starting coming out the past 2 years, and just recently told my parents. When telling those few friends the first time I was asked ‘who else knows?’, as if people *should* know that I’m into women. It’s such a weird conversation to have, but at the same time, everyone assumes you’re straight if you’re not a walking stereotype.

Coming out for me was a stressful thing, I’m very private and it’s hard for me to discuss feelings. Now that’s it done though, what a difference it’s made to my mental health not holding a bit of me back. Despite it being something that I think is no ones business, I was very eager for people to know.

We live in an extremely heteronormative society, straight is the ‘default’ to some, and when you don’t fit that narrative it can be isolating and lonely. It makes me happy to see same-sex couples included in adverts and TV shows. When surrounded by hetero couples it becomes obvious that you’re somehow different, that the way you feel isn’t mainstream or marketable, unless it’s specifically ‘gay’, thus you feel the need to keep it hidden.

Before coming out I squirmed when people talked about my future husband, and was terrified to correct them to wife. Now that I’ve told those most dear to me I’m gay I can happily correct folk who assume I’m looking for a male partner.

Until as a society we can see past stereotypes and know that sexuality has no uniform, the act of coming out will continue. When I was growing up, gay role models were non-existent and the term was seen as an insult which was probably down to ignorance. I hope that future generations don’t need to mentally psyche themselves up for that conversation and that people like yourself are the beginnings of this. Good luck!

Reply