Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence                        X
 Take risks                       X
 Organise and plan                       X
Manage Time                       X
 Make presentations                      X
 Act as a leader                         X
 Listen to others                         X
 Debate formally and informally                      X
 Take notes                      X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed

Self confidence

How will I use these

Self confidence is a skill that is needed through out life, in and outside of work. Being a primary teacher requires a lot of self confidence as you have to stand up in front of a full class every day and be confident enough in your own knowledge to be able to teach them.

How do I know (evidence)**

Manage time  Time management is a skill that is very important as a primary teacher as you need to be able to organise lessons within a decent amount of time so that they are ready for the class.
 Make presentations  Making presentations is a crucial skill as a primary teacher as basically your whole job is making presentations in the form of lesson plans.
 Act as a leader

Listen to others

Take notes

Acting as a leader is another very important skill to have in life as well as in the profession of teaching. Every day you have to take on the role as the lead of your own classroom and be responsible for them.

Listening to others is an important skill as your view on something is not always the only one or the best one so taking others opinions into consideration is very important.

Taking notes is a skill that will be needed through university but also when working as a teacher. I have different notebooks for my different modules in which I take short notes during lectures then go home and expand on them by looking back at the slides

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Take risks

Organise and plan

Debate

By using my self confidence skills I will challenge myself to step outside of my comfort zone and try new things.

I can start writing down when assignments and other bits of homework (reading etc) are due and colour coding them in order of priority.

I will start engaging in conversations more in lectures and small groups and voice my opinion if I think something different to someone.