Why do I want to be a teacher?

There are so many reasons why I want to devote my career to the role of an educator. I ultimately believe that a career in education is one of the most important functions performed within our culture. Teachers have the ability to improve the world by constantly helping broaden children’s minds, so that they can think in new ways. I want to be a teacher so that I can develop a new generation of thinking individuals. As a teacher I can influence decisions, behaviours, strengths and weaknesses to help children reach their full potential and accomplish goals they set for themselves.

I have always loved the chance of giving all young people the best start in life. Interacting with children is great. Be that on educational grounds or recreational activities, it’s a lot more fun learning with kids. No two days in the classroom are the same. All children learn in different ways and every class has a different dynamic that must be controlled and catered to when it comes to classroom environment and discipline. So, I may be teaching the same subject over and over again, but it’ll never be taught the same way twice and I love that. 

I think another big reason why I want to teach is that I have been inspired by many teachers that I’ve had throughout my school career. They have all been patient yet firm with their students, were always fair, set high expectations for the class and knew how to motivate students so that self-esteem was increased. This is the type of teacher that I want to become. I want to be that teacher that children feel safe and comfortable with so that they can always do their very best. I want to be that teacher that is dedicated to seeing my students succeed. This is what I strive for. 

So why do I want to be a teacher? I honestly couldn’t imagine doing anything else. To be a lifelong learner is appealing to me. I will always be looking for ways to improve my skills and pass this on to my students and there will be times when I learn from my students too. So, although there are the hours of making lesson plans, and having to deal with troubled individuals, it is the most rewarding job. I get to show children how fun learning can be, and how their strengths can make a difference to the world. This is what motivates me to become the best teacher I possibly can be. 

One thought on “Why do I want to be a teacher?